Buyin a crestie: need some advice!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by longswordjd, Jan 15, 2006.

1. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

RE: Re: RE: Buyin a crestie: need some advice!

crusty1 i might just do that lol!!!! how many cresties( female) could fit in there i could make i like colony!!!!!

longswordjd

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crusty1

crusty1 Member

oh man...lol even tho it IS a big tank, you still risk over crouding...id only say about 4 or 5...and it all depends whether u turn it on ur side (vertical) then u can prolly get away with an extra crestie max of 5, that would be amazing eh...iv thought about gettn a 75 and doin that...id be sweet

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. crusty1

crusty1 Member

actually i have thought about turning this fish tank stand thing that i made into a massive crestie colony...

[​IMG]

it measures (LWH) 3 1/2' x 2' x 2 1/4'........that makes it a 120gal apprx.
    i was thinking eather crestie or maybe a water dragon muahah
    i think a crestie inclosure would be sweet tho, i could prolly get like 8 or 9 cresites hahaha...wow, thad be unreal lol....
    i dunno.....another delema haha

ps. definatly make it into a massive crestie colony

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. VAherper

VAherper Member

haha, thats about a thousand dollars of gecko right there for a colony that size

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. crusty1

crusty1 Member

hahah oh ya i no eh haha...the down side...thanks for shattering my dream hahaha
    o well...someday, someday

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

hmmm we have 7 cresties right now. I guess it was around 1000. Now that is scarry. Actually probably closer to 800. The only thing would be the moisture with the wood. It would start to rot eventually.

12. crusty1

crusty1 Member

AH HA!!!!!! a solution...i have heard outdoor tounge oil is THE best at retaining moisture, and preventing moisture from getting in....and, i was going to build a rectangular box, with no front (like the tank stand, exact dementions) so the stand will be kind of like a cage...for a cage if u will lol...anyways thats the plan, it sure would be kool tho, ud have to admit

13. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

its the best for retaining and preventing moisture??? Tung oil looks like it would be a good choice its also approved for food contact by the FDA " http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html " looks like a good product... don't know if there could be any toxi problems with your gecko though

14. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

never mind found the answer "Tung oil, this is a non-toxic penetrating oil that is made from the seed of the Tung tree. This finish is very easy to take care of in that the oil can be reapplied to clean and polish the chair or even used fill in scratches. A good Tung oil finish is very durable, will not water spot, and only improves with age as the wood develops a rich patina." http://www.owenrein.com/making.html

15. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

hey crusty if you goto reptile expos you can get juvie cresties for about 15 bucks each lol i was thinkin that that would be like $135 or so!
    but allfurnishings and stuff it would be about $250 dallars i think lol well g2g

longswordjd

16. crusty1

crusty1 Member

haha really...iv never been to an expo, alwasy wanted to tho...i hear theres one comn up...hmmm, i may just do this *ponders....haha i was also thinkin of giant cresteds or smthin, thad also be kool
    do u think id have to cut vent holes into it maybe?
    what should i line it with? the glass like i said?

17. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

yes cut vent holes with mesh over them cause the giant crestie might just climb out!!! It turns out im just gona buy a 65 gallon tank. for Diablo my beardie. and i will make a tank later for my future cresties!

18. crusty1

crusty1 Member

oh right on...what are u gonna buy later for ur cresties?
    MAN! i really wanna change that tank into a crestie paradise, with a little river/stream, man thad be amazing! hopfully ill actaully stick to it...

19. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

crusty you should get like a large waterfall from exoterra!
    i am gona make one later maybe 28X24X36 ish or deeper! i am gona make a fake rock wall and i am gona make a waterfall maybe in the rock wall AHHHHH Genious! :) lol anyway i would do the sliding glass and ventholes with mesh covering in the top! maybe even coat the inside with a rock wall of your own makinG!!!!! well reply if you like my ideas! ok lol