Bye bye W.C. Mali's

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Syzurp, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Syzurp

Syzurp Embryo

I have been speaking with Doug over at Deer Fern and here is a quote, "Just so you know - Mali was closed down by CITES in August so Mali's should be going up in price this year (no imports to keep the price artificially low)."

Just a little something I thought might be a useful share.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

I think that's fantastic.
    No more sick uro's in places like Petsmart etc. It will stop little Jonny and other getting pets they cant look after properly or "cuddle". The higher prices that will result will ensure only "serious" keepers take them on.
    It can only be a good thing, the more they do about WC imports the better, the regulations here in the UK are far more strict.
    It will encourage people to breed, resulting in higher quality CB specimens.
    I hope this will apply to all species of uro not just Mali's.

Humans are the most destructive creatures on Earth, decimating natural habitats and removing creatures for their own "pleasure, entertainment".
    Personally I have never bought a WC in all the 16 years I've kept reptiles.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. uro_fan_

uro_fan_ Embryo

Chances are pretty good that the Mali uromastyx trade will be reopened as soon as they submit the report that CITES requested. As Mali is one of the largest exporters of uromastyx (over 20,000 in 2007), I do not see this being a long-term situation. But after asking for a couple years for the report, it was a sure way for CITES to get their attention.