Cage Background

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by stormyva, Dec 9, 2002.

1. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I broke down this weekend and bought all of the supplies to try and build a "rock" backdrop.
    I am loosely following the instructions provided in the Knowledge Base section of this site. http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?op...artid=34&page=1
    So far it is coming along fairly well. It's not a difficult project but does require some patience in working and shaping all the foam.
    Whoever was writing that "how-to" was not kidding about not using very much thinner.
    I will post some pics of it once done.

[Edited on 12/9/2002 by stormyva]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rainey

Rainey New Member

That's super cool! I can't wait to see how it turns out! Can you post some "pre-game" pics so we can see how it's going? I can't wait till my corns grow up so that I can fit them into their permanent housing!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Can't wait for photos as you progress. We can do it as a "follow-up" article in the knowledgebase.... let us know if anything didn't turn out quite as expected, or if any problems came up, and how you got around 'em.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

This background is going to be a step up cage for my Childern's Python and is sized for a 15 gallon "critter cage".

updated information.....
    I have applied the first coat of tile adhesive/grout to the background and it looks like it is all coming together. I was truly scared when I was looking at it after applying thinner that had eaten a LOT more styrofoam than expected and applying the Great Stuff expanding foam that expanded a LOT more than I expected. So a lot of un-expected things going on there.... but it does appear that it is all going to come together in the end. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

All fingers, toes, tails, claws n' paws crossed here for ya man :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

please do post some pics cuz i kinda want to do that too. good luck to ya.
    :)

12. stormyva

Finally the backgroundis completed!
    I would have had a step by step but for some reason the disk became corrupt and would not work. So here are the pics of the final result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The project was pretty easy but VERY VERY time consuming. Follow directions in the knowledge base article and you should have a nice looking background. The finish on mine is black and brown paint drybrushed to the tile grout and then coated with about six coats of polyurethane to protect it.

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Hey nice one man... looks cool :)

14. Rainey

Rainey New Member

That's so awesome, I can't wait for Katie and Kassie to get in their final enclosure! Very good job dude!

15. XzyluM

XzyluM New Member

Very nice man! Looks real interesting, I just might have to settle and try it out.

16. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

That is very nice Stormy, wanna fly to England and do some for my babie?!!!!!! :)

17. stormyva

Are you paying the airfare? :)

18. debbyhicks

debbyhicks Embryo

Great job! Can't wait to see it in person! Let me know when you are ready to do one for Hannibal! Of course he is a bit spoiled so it would have to be a much bigger enclosure! LOL

19. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Tasha you are so cheeky! Great job there Stormy.

20. reptile.breeder

reptile.breeder New Member

CALL ME STUPID BUT HOW DID YOU DO THAT BACK GROUND IS IT THAT FOAM IN A CAN STUFF

21. stormyva

22. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Stormy still up for flying over to do mine! :( Or you could do it where you are and just send it to me :) Only joking!!!

23. agent-orange

agent-orange Embryo

i'm also working on this, but using it slightly differently. I'm in the process of building a new enclosure for my 2 water dragons which will be 4x2x4 feet in size. approximately half of the bottom is going to be used for a nice water feature, a waterfall and pond. I'm using the techniques in the article to build this water feature. Only the rought shaping is done now, but it's really starting to take shape. I also discovered another way to shape the styrofoam, a flame. using either a candle or lighter, holding the flame about 4 inches from the foam will cause the foam to sink into itself making large wavey shapes. much easier that cutting it, but it does harden the foam and you can really only do that once.

I'll post some pics of my process soon i hope, hopefully i can get this damn digital camera working :(

24. Sirch

Sirch Member

cant see the pics

25. Ksqrd

Ksqrd New Member

I'm having a problem seeing the pics also, can you repost them?