Cage Setup

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Star, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Star

Star Embryo

I need some help, this is my first time owning a reptile ever. I have a 1 yr old cornsnake. I have had her for a few months now. I just feel like i need some help with the setup in her cage. I have a 20gallon terrarium (30"long, 13"high, 12"wide). I'm using a lamp for heat, which i'm not sure is the best thing. The temp during the day is between 85-95degrees, night is around 70degrees.
    I'm thinking about starting to use a different kind of substrate so i don't have to take apart the whole cage for a small clean up. Also is a under the tank heater better?
    Should I move the water to the center?
    I'm so lost....
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

by the way isn't she so cute!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. susyq

susyq Member

yer she is cute. in all my setups i use a combo of a normal light and an under tank heatmat at one end, these are then wired together using a connector block which is then wired to a dimmer switch which makes it adjustable. the temps i have are 80 degrees F at the hot end going down to 65-70 degrees F at the cool end. i have 2 hides one at each end, where the snakes can either go inside or lay on top of them. i use 6mm pea gravel as a substrata and have the water in the middle, my snakes love to burrow in the gravel. hope this helps :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. susyq

susyq Member

oh and i use a 36" x 18" x 12" tank :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Markey

Markey New Member

I just switched from the cage carpeting to the reptile bark (fir shavings). I love the look of the reptile bark!
    I have a uth and I think it works great. Your snake needs that belly heat to aid in digestion.
    I also use overhead lighting...I have a 50 watt day bulb specifically made for reptiles as well as a 50 watt night bulb. My warm side stays around 82 degrees.
    I would not put the drinking water dish on the warm side....just doesn't seem right to me. Water should be cool...I'm a dork.
    I have two hides (one on the cool side and one on the warm side). I also have a little hollow log for Markey to chill out in. I keep half of that on the warm side and half of it on the cool side.
    I have some fake vines and branches in there because Markey loves to climb!! Sometimes he hangs out at the top of the branches near the lighting.
    I also added some moss to cover the bottom of the fake greenery as well as to cover the hides a bit. I mist the moss on the warm side when Markey is in the shed cycle. It helps to increase the humidity which makes for a better shed.
    I think your set up is a bit bare. Your snake will love having some places to hide as well as some things to crawl around on.
    You can get some greenery at the dollar store...that's where I got mine. I picked up my fake branch from the pet store, but you can also get some from a real tree. Just be sure to take all of the leaves off. Pour boiling water all over it....make sure to soak it well. This will kill any parasites that are on the branches.
    Your snake is beautiful! Congrats and enjoy....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Markey

Markey New Member

Btw...95 degrees is really hot in my opinion....I would get a smaller wattage bulb and go with a uth...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Star

Star Embryo

ok thank you for all the suggestions, i was feeling that her cage was a bit bare also. i just didn't know where to start. i think i will move the water dish to the middle then get another half log thing for the warm side also or some branch or something to put on that side. i think i will get a uth and a smaller watt bulb. it does get pretty warm in my room lately so i have had to keep a close eye on her temp.

12. Star

Star Embryo

oh and how do you guys feel about carefresh bedding? i use it for my pet rat and i always have it around.

13. susyq

susyq Member

being from england i aint heard of or come across that bedding :?

14. Star

Star Embryo

well its made out of recycled paper, here's a pic of my rats cage with it in it:
    [​IMG]

my rattie had to get in the picture :D

15. Markey

Markey New Member

What a cute little rat...don't let the snake get it....
    As for the substrate, I really don't have an answer for you. I think the reptile bark or the aspen would look more natural. I'm very happy with the way the reptile bark made Markey's tank look. I have yet to see him burrow in it as some people say their snakes do, but he's in the shedding process right now. He hides out the entire time.
    Once you get some vines and some branches in there, your snake will be much happier.
    You can also use a paper towel roll for a hide if you are short on cash.
    I paid $6 for a bag of moss. You can use that to cover up some homeade hides and make them look more natural. I love how the moss adds to the tank.
    You will do just fine!!

16. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I think carefresh would be alright. i was going to use it in my tank but I like the look and smell of aspen better. Plus mine love to bury in it. the carefresh I thought didn't allow that unless it was really deep. Give it a shot and see if he likes it.

17. susyq

susyq Member

:D cute rat, thanks for informing me of what the substrata is but i think it dont look as nice as a natural substrata :D

18. Star

Star Embryo

ok i'm gonna go to the pet store and check out the difference's in prices, i agree that the natural substrate will look better. i will most likely get either the reptile bark or the aspen. thank you again for all your suggestions :)

19. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Another option is Cypress Mulch. You can get it at most walmarts and home depot type stores and it's cheap. It also looks good and holds humidity well.

20. Star

Star Embryo

I have one happy snake right now, i got a uth and some aspen shavings and a new hideout. she seems to be so happy! here are some pictures... What a difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice her head poping up, how cute is that :)

21. Reptodude

Reptodude New Member

wont the cypress or aspen mulch splinter the snake? just curious. I use to keep aspen in there but I was afraid of the splinters. I would say that 60% of the people on here use mulch, and I have never heard anything bad about it. any ideas? Right now i have my baby (14 inch) corn in a 33 gallon sterllite container. There is no substrate. I have also heard that the babies tent to eat it, is this true? I dont feed him inside of his cage so I dont think that he would eat it.