Cage size ... best monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by trudgy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. trudgy

trudgy Embryo

hey everyone, I am thinking about getting a monitor, I have a space in my house that is just kinda wasted and i'd like to build an enclosure to fill it the deminsions are:

64"Length
    33"Width
    86"Height

just wondering what are some of the best type of monitors to put in an enclosure that size? I am looking for something cool looking, good size, but obviously not something that i wouldn't be able to hold or anything, any suggestions?

maybe give me your top three?

thanks in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

with those dimensions i would make use of the height and get a black tree monitor. they only get 3ft and are great animals.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. trudgy

trudgy Embryo

thanks klik for the quick response..... yeah as you might have noticed my post about the other cage , the one i already have built, i see that it will not be suitable for a monitor that i'm looking for, hence this thread about building a new one.........

black trees look cool , keep the suggestions coming :lol:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

blue trees, green trees, yellow trees, timors are all awsome monitors that would love that enclosure

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. trudgy

trudgy Embryo

and those are all relativly friendly??? I really want a mangrove or blue tailed monitor, but i've heard they can be aggressive towards you

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ohiohotboy

ohiohotboy Embryo

blue tailed monitors are really cool looking but i never had one. a Mangrove on the other hand i have one now i just got her like a month ago my first monitor!! she is the best she is so active always moving around. i can just sit there and watch her for hours. But there are a couple of things you need to be prepared for if you get a mangrove they do not like to be handled. Now i have never been bit by mine they are not known biters but she will defecate on you and scratch the hell out of your hands and trust me neither of the too are not good!! If you spend alot of time with it though there is a good chance it will calm down. i would go with the mangrove!!!

12. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I had a mangrove way back when and it wasn't bad at all. Never was crapped on or bitten, really depends on the animal. What kind of experience do you have? I would not recommend the tree monitors depending on your experience as they fragile much like chams! Yellow tree monitors (v. melinus) are really not tree monitors at all (the common name needs to be changed!). Although they may climb a bit. Blue tails are fun as well but they are a bit more on the aggro side and like to be left alone, then again I'f found this to be the case with ALL Indonesia monitors. Timors would be great, they are easy to take care of, breed, and you could keep one hell of a colony in there!

13. trudgy

trudgy Embryo

well i've always had reptiles (veiled chameleon, ball python( currently have corn snake, 3 breeding beardies, 5 babies, fish, frogs, and turltles....... so i need a monitor :( ........ the local exotic pet store near by had mangroves last year and i picked one right up out of the cage and held it, maybe they were just real friendly ones, mayb ei'll just wait till he gets some more in and check those specimens out, if they are aggressive, then i'll order one of the tree monitors perhaps.

thanks for all the info so far!

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

a blue tailed and monitor need bigger size enclosure then you have that is why i didnt reccommend them. but the others are all pretty friendly except timors. timors are usually shy but can become social