Calcium deficiencies: The "secret" to avoid them

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by alfon76, Jun 16, 2011.

1. alfon76

alfon76 Reptile Veterinarian

Calcium deficiencies are usually grouped under the umbrella term of Metabolic Bone Disease or MBD. The issue is quite common in reptile husbandry but in my opinion it shouldn't be anymore. As a matter of fact, I feel the issue should be extinct when it comes to reptiles as we really have no excuses to not provide adequate husbandry to our reptiles to allow for proper calcium absorption.
    Sorry about the misleading title, as there is really no secret to avoid calcium issues. The information is right in front of us but we don't seem to grasp it at times. I am hoping this thread helps as many people as possible to avoid the heartaches that come with dealing with calcium deficiencies.

Reptiles need calcium to grow, to produce eggs, and to move around on a daily basis. Calcium is an essential mineral to reptile health but providing our reptiles with a tub of calcium every day doesn't ensure they will get proper calcium in their system. You see, calcium absorption is a process and there are many important steps needed for this process to go smoothly. Yes, availability of calcium is important but calcium can't be absorbed in the reptile's body without vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 is produced naturally in the reptile's body by exposure to Ultraviolet Light B (UVB). UVB is part of the natural, unfiltered sunlight spectrum. So there is the process in a nutshell: A reptile basks in the sun to warm up and to absorb the UVB rays. These UVB rays will trigger the kidneys to produce vitamin D3 which will go into the bloodstream and allow the cells to absorb calcium. That means a strong, happy reptile that can move around, can grow and can reproduce normally. Simple huh? Then why do we still have issues in this hobby with calcium deficiencies? I don't know, but I have a few suspicions that I will list below.

1- Improper exposure to natural UVB- Many keepers think that putting the reptile near a glass window will solve the issue of UVB exposure. UVB will be filtered out by most glass and acrylic so putting a glass tank on a open window doesn't help. Putting a glass tank or a screen cage near a closed window doesn't help.Putting a screen cage in an open window does help. The sun rays need to be as unfiltered as possible for the UVB to be at its best. UVB is also at better levels in the morning hours until about noon. After noon, the levels diminish and are not as strong, but that doesn't mean they are no good. If you can have your choice of sunshine exposure for your reptile, use the AM. Otherwise, use the afternoon as it is better than nothing. DO NOT put your reptile in a rubbermaid tub or glass or acrylic enclosure for sunning, it will cause the reptile to get overheated and die if left unattended. Only screen cages or well ventilated cages (bird cages, etc) can be used for this.

2- Improper exposure to artificial UVB- Many keepers can't take their reptiles outdoors for many reasons and they depend entirely on artifical bulbs for their UVB. Nothing wrong with that as long as the proper bulbs are used and we can make sure proper levels of UVB are being produced. There are many bulbs in the market that only produce UVA but not UVB and keepers buy them thinking that it is a "UV bulb". Well, it is a UV bulb but not a UVB bulb which makes a huge difference. Different bulbs will produce different levels of UVB for different amounts of time and sometimes keepers buy the right type of bulb but it doesn't get changed frequently enough thus leading to little to no UVB exposure over time. This is why it is recommended to change the bulbs every 6-12 months depending on the bulb, or buy a UVB meter which will tell you how much UV is being produced by your bulbs. If you measure a drop in UVB production from your bulbs, then it is time to change them.

3- Excessive reliance on Vitamin D3- There is still some train of thought that if you use vitamin D3 daily when supplementing, then you have no need for UVB. The thinking being that by providing D3 you are bypassing the step in the process where UVB triggers the production of D3 in the reptile's body. It would seem this is a logical step but it fails to show that excessive use of D3 causes severe liver issues and premature death. Reptiles can produce as much D3 naturally as they need with the exposure to UVB but when you provide D3 externally you have no way of determining how much or how little you are actually giving your reptiles. You could be underdosing them thus depriving them of calcium absorption or you could just as well overdose them and cause a whole new set of health issues. Artificial supplementation has it's place in reptile husbandry, but it should not be used to replace the natural way.

4- Availability of calcium- Not all calciums are made the same and some seem better suited for certain reptiles than others. Calcium carbonate is the standard form of calcium used in the hobby but there are other forms of calcium out there that are more bioavailable for reptiles once ingested. What's the catch? Some of the products stick better to insects than others, some products are thinner than others, some taste better than others, and some products clump quicker than others. It is a matter of trial and error when you choose your calcium but make sure you choose one that fits your and your reptiles needs. You will likely need a calcium product that sticks well to insects if you are feeding insectivores, like chameleons, that need to hunt their food. If you are feeding herbivores you can use a less sticky product if you are feeding them from a bowl. If you are feeding carnivores, their food is usually on the moist side when you consider the ones that eat dog or cat food as well as frozen rodents, so you need a calcium that can stick to that food without creating too much of a thick paste that could discourage the reptiles from eating it. Not understanding these factors can lead to the use of a good product that doesn't fit your reptile's lifestyle thus leading to poor ingestion of the calcium and low availability of this mineral in the body.

5- Improper diets- We are what we eat, and so are our reptiles. If we don't provide them with a well balanced diet and depend solely on calcium supplements we might never be able to do right by them. The closest we can get to providing our reptiles to a natural diet (what they would eat normally in the wild), the more likely they are to get as much nutrients as they would in the wild. This would limit the need for extra supplementation and would allow us to develop a system where we alter their diets on a minimal basis rather than every day or so. We can never duplicate nature but we should aim to do it anyway.

I am partial to chameleons as they are the reason I became a Veterinarian in the first place. These lizards are about the most delicate species of reptile there is and nutrition is everything to them. Calcium deficiencies are alive and well in chameleons today and they shouldn't be. As much as we know about them and their needs, we should be able to scratch calcium issues off the book of chameleon ailments for good. I really hope that anyone reading this learns something or can pass it along to someone who can use this info. It might be too ambitious of a goal for me, but I sure hope I can see a reptile hobby where calcium deficiencies are an oddity rather than a routine issue.

[​IMG]
    A 2-year old Veiled Chameleon with severe caclium deficiency

[​IMG]
    A baby Veiled Chameleon with calcium deficiency issues.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I have to agree with you. There are too many reptiles with MBD these days. I once got a beardie from Petco (worst mistake I ever made) and he started to going downhill the next day. The sad thing is that I should have done my research, realized the mistake in the store's enclosure, and told them to fix it. There are too many cases of a disease that shouldn't even exist.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

Thank you, this answered any questions that I would have had on this subject. To be honest, I just put my gecko next to the window, and assumed that it would be enough. This was extremely helpful. It's so easy to provide these reptiles with proper care and nutrition, that things like calcium deficiencies shouldn't be a problem at all.

I do have one question, though: So after reading this, I'm going to get a UVB bulb for my leopard gecko's terrarium, but I'm worried it will raise the temperature of the tank too much. (sorry, this might seem like kind of a noob question. xP...)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hey, Rowan, to answer your question, fluorescent UVB lights don't produce much heat at all, and they will have virtually no effect on your cage temperatures. It's only the MVB bulbs that produce heat as well as UVB.

Just as a side note, you don't actually have to provide UVB for leopard geckos. They are a nocturnal species, so they aren't really exposed to sunlight in their natural habitat. Since leopard geckos don't do much basking throughout the day, when the light would actually be on, they won't benefit a whole lot from having one. That's not to say you can't provide them with UVB though. It certainly won't harm them, and some keepers actually recommend having UVB available. However, I personally don't suggest it for leopard geckos due to their sensitivity to bright light. As long as you are dusting your leo's food regularly and aren't overfeeding on high phosphorous feeders, you shouldn't have to worry about a calcium deficiency in your gecko.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Ive had so many rescues that have had MBD. Its so horrible because of ignorance and the humans that keep the animals with out educating themselves. We have so much info at our fingers but so many refuse to do something as simple as reading and checking that info with other info or a vet. My most painfull expieriance with MBD whas when my rescue Taarna (iguana) had hypocalcemic MBD set in fully. Her phos levels went off the charts dropping her calcium deatly low. Her protiens were also off the wall along with other blood work that showed she shouldnt be alive but she was.
    over view of who Taarna was.... I got her from a pet shop that someone had abandoned her at. She had wounds and burns, was very thin and very defensive, had been fed dog food and broccoli. I reached right into the aquarium they had her in (she was not even hardly able to turn in it it was so small for a 6 pound lizard and floored in landscaping wood chips). She was too weak to fight me and the store keeper was terrified of her. I brought her home and did tharapy and medical treatments to her. Over the next few years I used her to educate hundreds of people. She litter box trained and owned my house and the dogs. She had a personal humidifyer, proper and timer run lighting, great food and even slept in my bed when she wanted to. My herpotoligist buddy and I had almost started thinking we dodged the MBD bullet. We hadnt. It started a small twitches, not unlike when your eyelid twitches, but in legs and neck. We ran blood work to find the inevitable. The vet we used had an Idea. Amphogel....a non magnezium, aluminium antacid. Dosing high at first..3cc 3x a day. This serum bonds with the phospherous and removes it from her system. The second trip to the vet almost cost her her life. Her numbers were heading the right way but she had what i can only figure was a stroke when we got home. She was litterally limp and lifeless and I felt she was dead. I performed infant CPR on her. I cried and told her she couldnt go yet... And then she gasped a breath! She came back! She held me like a tree in a storm. I had to reteach her where her potty was (her memory from past 6 months appeared to be gone. she had reverted to where her cage/perch and old potty used to be). Her stregnth slowly came back and the amphogel was reduced to 1/2cc a day to suspend the disease. She lived a few more years and reached over 10 pounds after this ordeal. Fully herself. Eventually the disease symptoms reappeared as gout and kidney failure. She closed her eyes for the last time at the vets office this last january (2011) at only 14 years old. I am still devistated by this and will always feel hurt inside , myself and others, that knew her. She taught me and others that iguanas can live, laugh, love and play. She showed they can feel, express, learn and forgive. (I have her on my you tube channel ...reptileden0's Lizards do play...playin tug with the wolf, as well as other activities she did here. I spent HUNDREDS in bloodwork. Every penny was worth it as Taarna lived very well and happy for so much longer. I still wasnt ready to let go. I never will.
    Ive had others die of this disease, including my first rescue Spike, years before we knew there was help for hypocalcemic MBD. But thru all of that my herp friends, vets and I have developed a diet..(with calcium, phos, and protien levels). which can be used before onsets as prevention and with the medicines after onsets.(contact me or tell me where to post it). It hurts my every time I see this disease as ALL OF IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. I cry for the ones ive loved as family and for the ones where it was too late.
    I strive to educate and encourage education of the pets people want. I help set up terariums and get foods lists perfected for the owners before they own a reptile. I also get called to help fix problems and correct owners ideas on their pets' health and behaviors.
    I hope others read this story and find stregnth, and for others to see this and realize how important proper care really is before they make the mistakes. It hurts the reptiles, and hurts the humans that have to rescue and live with the pets that others heartlessly throw away.

StikyPaws312 likes this.