Calcium Sand/Dust

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Chasec12550, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Chasec12550

Chasec12550 Embryo

Can u use calcium dust/sand as bedding? The bag says All Living Things (the name brand) and it says All Natural Calcium Sand. Its says Natural, untreated, uncolored, Calcium Carbonate Sand. Safer Alternative to Silica Sand.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

depends on what you plan to put on it, but for the majority of herps I believe that stuff is real bad for them. Calcium Sand it not as digestible as they claim, it will clump together and cause impaction in herps like beardies and leos amongst others.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Chasec12550

Chasec12550 Embryo

I have a Panther Gecko, if the sand is bad, what type of bedding do you suggest?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

I'm not particulary familiar with these geckos, but think cypress mulch, peat moss and coco fiber are better options

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

If you are referring to Paroedura pictus or Madagascar ground gecko....they do quite well on any washed playsand. I have kept/hatched/raised them for years and never had a problem with impaction from ingesting the sand.

Calcisand causes impactions and I don't recommend using it.

If you have any questions, just ask.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Chasec12550

Chasec12550 Embryo

Ok, ty for the help, do U have any suggestions for bedding that I may be able to get at the local Petsmart?

12. Schneider09Skinks

Schneider09Skinks Embryo

I'll tell you straight up, that calcium sand is horrible and very expensive stuff. I have a 4 yr degree in wildlife, have owned reptiles for about 18 years or so and have pet store experience. Trust me, it's bad stuff. There are very good chances of it clogging up the animal's intestines due to the fact it contains the calcium. I suggest researching your animal. Find out where he is native to and find appropriate substrates to mimic his natural habitat. Play sand is great for desert animals, shredded coconut bark for non-desert animals. You can never go wrong with newspaper and even paper towels if you want it to be simple and basic. In most cases with geckos, I would reccomend play sand just like a previous post suggested. Play sand is very cheap and actually one of the safest and best substrates to use for the animal (species consideded). The mulches can house bugs like mites and stuff, same with shavings. Not many bugs harmful to herps can handle living in sand. Make sure to NOT collect sand from a beach or elsewhere for it may have stuff in it to make your lil guys sick. Stick with store bought play sand. To give you a rough cost perspective, you are looking at $10-$15 per pound of calcium sand versus about $5-$6 for a 50 pound bag of play sand.

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

As all of the others have stated - calci-sand is not acceptable.

If you are going to use sand with your panther gecko there is no need to buy it at Petsmart, you can get playsand or pool filter sand (generally finer than playsand i believe) at Home Depot, or other similar stores.

With the sand, you want to make sure to screen it first - run it through a sscreen to filter out the larger peices, i usually use a seive or a tank lid.

There is a product called Repti-Sand that is just plain sand, very fine grain that has no calcium, vitamins etc etc that is sold at the petstore. However, its hugely more expensive than play sand or pool filter sand. If you choose to buy it from the petstore just be absolutely certain the product you buy is NOT a calcium sand or a sand with any additives at all.

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

Till schneider posted the last response was OCT 2007
    This topic is now 2 years old, dont think you will get any response from the OP.

15. orchidianchild

orchidianchild Embryo

haha

its happened to me.. ive posted on old threads just cuz i thought it was interesting..
    But anywho, I never used calcisand though i kept hearing it was alright. i heard playsand was nasty. they found stuff in them. As for me I use liners. Thats it. Nothing to ingest. Although I must say that among the controversy, I've known people to use walnut shells successfully. Weird huh.

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm sure there are people who use walnut shells successfully. Just like there are people who use calcium sand or wood chips or aquarium rocks without ever having a problem. That doesn't mean it is safe, it just means they've been lucky so far.

17. easternwind

easternwind Embryo

I personally don't use sand and probably wont. I also don't have a leo but I do use alfalfa meal by zilla for my beardie because its safe for digestion. My aft geckos however are on the Desert Blend. Not sure about leos, can't say dont use since I don't have a leo, but I would be cautious.

18. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

leos dont want to use anything that can fit into their mouth

19. orchidianchild

orchidianchild Embryo

Yes leos are a whole other realm of care when it comes to substrates. The ones I've seen with the most problems. When I said that I've heard things about playsand though, I don't mean to bad mouth it or anything I mean since I've had no personal experience I can't say "oh this sand is death!" or something like that. Basically because I've never used it. For the shells though, my friend has used them for years so thats the only reason I can safely comment that. Does mostly everyone here use reptile carpet or paper towels for leos? I'm guessing yes.

20. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

most people use tiles, paper towels, and carpet, though anything solid will work. i use fleece as a substrate for my biggest girl.

play sand is better than calci sand though since it doesnt entice your lizard to eat it and doesnt clump nearly as much in the guts. still not digestable though, but if your going to use sand no matter what then play sand is the way to go

21. bruno

bruno Moderator

I have to agree with kephy's earlier post.
    ANY loose substrate is potentially a risk, many people have used various types for a lot of years with no problems, but I guess they have been lucky.
    The only really safe way is hard substrate like tile, carpet or paper.
    Cali-sand has been documented many times as lethal substrate, because it encourages the gecko to lick it, more than say playsand, and they soon get a build-up causing impaction.
    It's up to the individual keeper to make his/her own choice.

22. figtree29

figtree29 Embryo

lets just say if you want to use calcium sand as bedding, and our herps have a taste for it, its going to be like a 24/7 buffet.