California Kingsnake in Rhode Island

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by Rachael, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Hi there! I haven't been on these forums fro quite some time. The last time I checked in was to report that my Ball, Roswell, had found a home with my ex, and my Cali King, Grimm, was still with me up in New England. However, I've come to the point in my life where I realize I'm too busy and scatterbrained to be the best snake mom I can be and would like to find Grimm a new home.

About his home: Grimm lives in a 20gal long tank w. a wire lid. I attempted to epoxy some locks onto the tank and lids because he's quite the escape artist, but most of them didn't hold. He's on paper towel substrate (I don't have time to maintain a loose substrate, part of the reason I need to find him a new home) and a UTH. His furniture includes two water rocks that can probably be replaced with larger water containers, a half log, two bendy branches he loves climbing on, and a frequently changed cardboard paper towel tube. He likes this the best and it makes for a great "snake dispenser".

About Grimm: I've had him since 2002 and aside from getting larger hasn't changed much. I haven't handled him as much as I used to lately, and he's gotten pretty skittish about being picked up. Once in hand he's very friendly and inquisitive, he loves to climb to the tops of heads (he's sitting on top of mine right now, actually) and down shirt necks. As mentioned, he's proven to be quite the escape artist. I've watched him wedge himself between the lip of the tank and the lid and systematically check for weak points where he can push. I haven't taken him to a vet in about 2 years. He has survived a round of hide and seek with a cat with only two small battle scars and his behavior, eating habits and excretions have been normal since. Normally, he eats two fuzzies every two weeks but lately I've been scatterbrained and pressed for time (trying to work and finish school) and his feedings have been erratic. He probably could and would eat more. He gets very... enthusiastic about feeding and often takes a lunge at my hand when I attempt to put him back in his tank. He does require a dead mousie dance and often misses, looks around confused and you have to do the dance again.

If you just want Grimm without his tank, I can probably ship him (I'd need some guidance with that, as I've never done it before), but I would much prefer to deliver him locally or have him picked up. If you would like his tank as well, it MUST be local. I don't mind driving to Mass or CT, but beyond that a halfway point would be ideal.

I love this little guy to pieces and hate that I have to find him a new home, but I know I can't care for him like I should right now, so I have to do this. I trust the members of this forum and wouldn't go anywhere else unless no one here could take him in. Thanks so much.

Here is a picture of him! Pardon the Mac quality, and the wiggle blur. He doesn't like sitting still when he's out of his tank.
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. terrilmiceli

terrilmiceli Embryo

boy he is beautiful. I do have an albino king snake that i am not sure of the sex. how do you get away with 2 fuzzies. i have to feed Hays 2 live once a week and even then he will eat what my beardies don't want. did you say he is in a 20 gallon/ how big is he?