Can 2 Ball Pythons live together?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by jezika, Jul 2, 2007.

1. jezika

jezika Embryo

I am babysitting a ball python for a few months, have fell in love and want my own, I saw an ad that advertised 2 of them with 1 cage for a great price.... my question is are the two of them in the cage together ok or would I have to buy a second set up?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

2nd setup for sure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

A big reason is that Ball Pythons have the potential to cannibalize eachother.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jezika

jezika Embryo

Thanks for you help. :p

Wouldn't want them to eat each other!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

There is a very VERY VERY rare chance they would EAT each other.

Snakes are solitary creatures and prefer to live alone. being together other than breeding just stresses them out so it is just healthy for them to stay apart. they will be a lot happier.

They will get along together most likely wont fight but they will be a little more temperamental.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

dumerillis hit it right on, plus if there is ever a problem, it's much more likely that to progress between the two if they are living together. If they ARE living together, and say they get mites, you're certainly going to end up with mites (respiratory infection, etc. - whatever it is, it can apply) on both of them... if they lived alone, you can quarantine more easily and not have to worry so much about the one that isn't infected...

It's almost ALWAYS better to house snakes individually... and like dum said, the only time breeders put them together is for breeding... other than that, alone...

On another note, it's good to hear you've fallen in love with a wonderful species of snake! ;) you'll have to post some pictures for us when you get them, and feel free to ask questions if they arise, we'll do our best to help you out...