Can i make a change?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Beardie123, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Beardie123

Beardie123 Embryo

I live in Massachusettse Chameleons are illegal in this state and i think this law is unfair to us, i don't know how to get this change started i am a 13 year old reptile lover that feels like i have no say in the laws :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Chameleons aren't illegal in Massachusetts... what made you think that they are?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Beardie123

Beardie123 Embryo

i whent to my reptile specialty store and they said they were illigal and i searched it online and it said chameleons of any species are illigal

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Beardie123

Beardie123 Embryo

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

WOW. For everyone's reference:
    WILDLIFE REQUIRING A DFW PERMIT

Any species in this category requires a DFW permit and may not be kept as a pet.Examples of animals requiring a permit include endangered and threatened wildlife, venomous snakes, crocodilians, monitor lizards, monkeys, African servals, sugar gliders, skunks and raccoons. Permits for animals in this category are issued only for certain scientific, educational, commercial, or other specific reasons. Permits are not issued for keeping these species as pets. Permits in this category are issued only for certain scientific, educational, commercial, or other specific reasons. . Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are actively engaged in the activity for which they have applied for or received a permit. (See 321 CMR 2.12) The only exception is for a prohibited animal for which there is proof it was in the owner's possession within Massachusetts before July 1, 1980. This exemption is granted only for the life of that particular animal.
    Wildlife included in this category includes any animal listed in any category of the Red Books of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, any category offederal endangered species law or listed on the Massachusetts list of endangered, threatened, and special concern species.
    Other groups of wildlife which may not be kept as pets and require a DFW permit include:
    FISH:
    Tilapia: which are often kept in indoor aquaculture

Snakeheads: These fish are on the federal list of injurious wildlife. Importation and interstate transportation is prohibited by federal law.
    The following fish are expressly prohibited and may not be liberated in waters of Massachusetts: Grass Carp (White Amur), Piranhas and related species, Rudd,
    Walking Catfish and related species.

AMPHIBIANS:
    Only those species listed on federal and state threatened and endangered species lists require a permit. (See weblinks above)

REPTILES:
    Turtles: Spotted Turtles, Argentine (Chaco) Tortoise, Gopher Tortoises and related species, and the Pancake Tortoise all require a permit because of concerns for their conservation.

Snakes: Emerald Tree Boa, Green Tree Python. The Reticulated and African Pythons, all Anacondas; Black Rat Snake and venomous snakes require a permit because they are considered potentially dangerous.
    Crocodilians: All crocodilians including, alligators, crocodiles, caimans and gavials require permits.
    Lizards: Regulations regarding the possession of lizards are quite detailed. Some generalities regarding which species require a permit are listed as follows:
    • Rare species, Florida Sand Skinks, Solomon Islands Ground Skink,
    • Chameleons, Monitor Lizards,
    • Gila Monster and Beaded Lizard, and any other lizards not specifically listed.
    • Gekkos (rare species and the Big Bend Gekko)
    BIRDS:
    Rare species, migratory birds found in the United States and Canada, and any other bird native to the United States or Canada. Permits may be issued for the aviculture of certain waterfowl and game birds.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

For the record. When I lived in Boston (which was only for 5 years while I was in college and was only 5 years ago).... I had a chameleon. I had absolutely no idea that they were illegal to own as a pet. I purchased him at a reptile expo in New Hampshire and they did not mention at all that they were illegal in Mass....

I'm going to research this further and see if it only pertains to a certain chameleon or to all of them... I just can't believe that this is a law. I know I've seen pet stores in Boston with Chameleons...

Beardie123 likes this.
  12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Ok, apparently it does pertain to all chameleons in the state of Massachusetts. This law has been around since 1979 and has been in effect since 1980. I'm sorry but other than contacting USARK (www.USARK.com) and possibly inquiring with them on how you can go about changing it I'm not really sure what you can do. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find!

13. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Wow, never knew this. I've seen plenty of chameleons at Mass reptile expo's. As Stiky said, USARK is pretty much our legal fighting force. Good luck!