Can they be handled like iguanas?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by gecko94, Jan 13, 2008.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Okay, i've always wanted an iguana, but knew i couldn't get the space for a cage that size, so then i relized water dragons look kind of like iguanas. (key word KIND of like iguanas)so i can fit the cage somewhere if the dimesions aree 5 feet long, 4 feet deep, and 6 feet tall. Will this work? So, can i hold a water dragon daily for about 30 minutes? I have a little routine where i hold all my animals, and i'd like the water dragon to be in it too, so if i tamed him since he was a baby, could this be possible? I know the question is kind of confusing, but i think you will understand. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

I have iguanas and a water dragon and i noticed that the water dragon is a little bit more willing to run away but after a while he calms down and will just hang out by me so i think if you took the time it would be a great pet as an alternative to iguana.
    also that size of a cage it great for a wd if you need more help with anything let me know and i will try to help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Euparkeria

Euparkeria Embryo

Experts say you shouldn't handle your WD a lot because it can stress the animal out. Of course, people want to touch their pets, so it is going to happen. There isn't harm in handling your WD, but you shouldn't do it a lot. Iguanas have different "personalities" than WDs, for instance. They have also been in the pet trade longer. I think captive breeding also affects how "personable" they are. Most WDs available in the US are wild-caught, and that has an impact, too.

As I understand it, iguanas seem to be more trainable than WDs