Can Water Dragons over-eat? HELP please!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by DroogieDragon, Feb 10, 2004.

1. DroogieDragon

DroogieDragon Embryo

My usually very active water dragon has been sleeping in very funny spots and at unusual times of day for him. When he is awake, he isn't moving around like he usually does and even when we pick him up, he isn't squirming like usual. I'm wondering if he ate too much yesterday and he's just feeling lazy. Has anyone known this to happen? Or could he be cold? He's just not himself at all, so I'm worried. Please help if you have any answers. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It could be a combination of cold and eating too much..

Make sure his temps are good, maybe try giving him a soak.. If he's not pooping, and doesn't become more active in the next couple of days, I'd get down to a vet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DroogieDragon

DroogieDragon Embryo

Thanks...He actually seems to be doing better...active again...taking his daily dips into the pond, running all over his cage. Im not sure what happened...someone suggested we might have a pregnant dragon...which i do not think is possible...but it did raise the question of gender. We were told this was a male when we got him, but how can we really be sure? Looking at pictures, my dragon does seem to resemble a female a little more than a male (smaller crest,etc). Do water dragons have to be probed in order to tell?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

I have 2 water dragon 1 female 1 male when they were kept together the dominant female would eat more alot more thean it needed. I think this was just so the male didn`t have any. After eating (usually about 6 superworms and 6 medium locusts) it would just stay on a branch for hours with the hiccups and would struggle to move.

*By the way watching a water dragon with hiccups is sooooo funny*

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spiff

Spiff Embryo

It could have been impaction droogie.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Water dragons do not need to be probed to be sexed, but they do need to be older. How old is your dragon?

Secondary sex characteristics (large crest and femoral pores and bright facial coloration in the males) come in between 6months - 1year. Its easier to tell the sex of your dragon when looking at it side by side with a dragon of the opposite sex. If your dragon is over one year and has a small crest, no pores, is smaller in size and so forth, its probably a female. If your dragon is less than one year of age, he could be a male that hasnt developed yet

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Guys, this thread was started in February 2004 :D

13. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Darn!!! Thats the second time this has happened to me! I dont even check dates, if its at the top of the page in orange, i automatically respond!

14. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

lol, I know what you mean, I sometimes do that myself :D

15. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

How many pets do you have? I got 1 water dragons he's my baby.

16. jdragunas

jdragunas Embryo

i have 1 water dragon, 2 tokay geckos, 2 fat tail geckos, a betta, and a 55 gallon saltwater fishtank with 7 fish and a shrimp :lol: