Can you devenom snakes?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by theend882, Aug 20, 2005.

1. theend882

theend882 Member

i just heard that u can devenom snakes is this true? if it is how is it done?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's true I'm pretty sure. I saw some documentary about it on tv once...I think they hold the head of the snake, and firmly press the open mouth down onto some sort of jar with a rubbery type lid so the fangs pierce it and the venom drains out. I'm not sure, but I think they have to keep doing it every once in a while, becomes it comes back. Though I could be wrong. I saw this a while ago.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

That sounds like the process of milking to get venom for anti-venom. As for devenoming I would say that it would be a surgical procedure to get rid of the venom glands. Not sure if it is possible.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Ohh that clears that up for me lol! I always wondered about that.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coastie

coastie New Member

I've heard they sometimes even after they remove the glands they can grow back, don't know if its bs or not. They still have those fangs unless they're removed too, sounds pretty cruel though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. theend882

theend882 Member

i thought the snake would die or somthing like that if u did

12. LewsKinslayer0

Well you would be removing what it uses to hunt and eat. Might make it so they won't eat. Removing the fangs would be very cruel.

13. theend882

theend882 Member

thats what i thought

14. brandywine55

brandywine55 New Member

Just go with a constrictor!

15. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really a bad thing to devenom a snake. Just don't keep the snake if you can't deal with what it offers. I've heard a lot of sideshows in India that show the dancing cobras devenomize the snakes by making them latch onto something then ripping the fangs and glands right out of the snakes mouth. Nice, huh? Stupid people.

16. LewsKinslayer0

Ouch that has got to hurt the snake and really piss it off. I agree if you can't deal with the fact that it is venomous then don't get it.

17. theend882

theend882 Member

i wasnt planning on getting one i was just curious

18. agr

agr New Member

That was on Crocodile hunter once, most of the "snake charmers" are dealing with venomoids. They buy cobras from anyone who will trap them and then rip out fangs. THe Croc hunter ended up buying the new cobras that still had their fangs and driving out to release them far away from civilization, I was impressed usually he is a lot more like his South Park apperance.

19. LewsKinslayer0

Poor things, and all they are trying to do is live where they have lived for a very long time.

20. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yes, Venomoiding (removing the venom glands) is nothing less than sick mutilation, often performed in some idiot's garage. Ripping their fangs out doesn't do a thing. Snakes lose fangs eating prey all the time, they just grow new ones. Buying a hot that has had its fangs removed will not do you any good.

Basically, if you can't handle a hot snake, you shouldn't keep one. You shouldn't mutilate the animal to make it fit into your needs.

21. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well said Axe!

22. Reptile88

Reptile88 New Member

look up a picture of lets say for example a rattle snake skull ,, it will show the fangs and how they are replaced,, just like a shark, they lost them and the next pair moves forward,,if you wanna keep a venemous snake,,your gonna have to know how, be careful and not get bit,,if it is possible to get a vet somewhere , to surgically remove the glands,,it will cost you more then the snake was worth

23. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, not necessarily... A 10ft rodent-eating King Cobra will probably cost you about $1000, but whether it's done by a vet or anybody else, it's still mutilating an animal.

The only people who have venomoid animals are people who want to show off how big and tough they think they are by having a cobra. The fact that they mutilate these animals to make them "safe" not only shows how big and tough they're not, but it also shows what self-righteous idiots they are.

24. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Sad, so sad.....I would love a big tiger too, but I'm not going to get one de-clawed, take out it's teeth, and underfeed it so it's not so powerful, just because I want a big kitty cat.

25. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

And not only that, but a venomoid (snakes with venom glads removed) is more dangerous than a snake that has not had the venom glands removed. Mainly because the keeper will now treat and handle the snake as if it is no longer dangerous. When in reality it has been proven time and again that snakes are capable of regenerating their venom glands.