Cape gopher snake won't eat

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Iamstrangepants, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Iamstrangepants

Iamstrangepants Embryo

I recently got a cape gopher snake. he is about two years old and four and a half feet. he ate on the day i bought him when i brought him home (two weeks ago) he ate a small rat. Since then he has pooped twice but refused to eat at all. I tried a large adult mouse and he wouldn't eat that and now im trying a rat pup. His cage is usually at about 78F since everything ive read has said to keep it at low temperatures and the shop owner i bought him from also did so. Any ideas?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

I dont know much about snakes but since there are no other replies...
    What type of thermometer do you use? Can you give us any details about your set up (substrate, method of heating, enclosure size and on and on)? Also your feeders are they fresh, live, or frozen/thawed? Answers to these Qs might help someone give you some better advice.
    Reptiles can get pretty stressed out during a move and sometimes its hard for them to adjust. Lets hope its just that. If he poos again you should consider taking it in to a vet for a fecal exam to make sure he doesnt have any parasites. Just put the fresh poo in a plastic baggie and refrigerate it till you take it into the vet. It usually doesnt cost very much (@ my vet its $15)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Sounds like a pituophis to me. I had a black pine that would eat 2 small rats in a week, then not eat for a month. Then would refuse rats, but instead eat 14 mice.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kinsey

kinsey Embryo

try different foods and warming the cage slightly to around 80 degrees. make sure he has water and quiet. he probably is just having trouble adjusting, try again in a couple days and give him lots of peace or he will become very stressed. definitly take the poo into a vet to get it examined. hope hes ok! ;)