Captive care of crocodile monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by nomad, Feb 9, 2005.

1. nomad

nomad Embryo

ive been a fan of these awsome beasts since i saw one in '97, but now theyre finally being sold in price range, i have a cage that will house a baby for probably a year or two, but cage size isnt a problem, i can build new ones all the time, I'm looking for someone who has owned, or takin care of one before, to talk about what they prefer, how they act etc. also if any of you know basking temps and tree top temp and ground heat info and humidity, or where i could get this info, i would appreciate it, thanks in advance -Nomad

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i highly do NOT reccommend these for any herper. they can be very aggressive and at an adult size of 12ft+ they can be a great amount of work. they would need an enclosure of at least 20'Lx10'wx10'H. they are semiarboreal and love to swim. they will swim and climb whenever given the chance. overall temperature of 85F with a basking spot of 130F. humidity should be kept 80-90%. they usually have a nasty temperment, but with regular handling from hatchling to adult they should become pretty docile

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. vaderman

vaderman Embryo

sigh

Go for it man, if you think u got the needs for the animal then by all means do it. Crocs are unbelievable monitors. I had mine for 2 yrs, now he lives in a huge cage at the store i work at Reptile Room. He's about 6 ft now. Klik always has something to say about anything is what ive noticed, but im sure hes never housed one. Good luck if u decide to do it or if you already have.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

vader do you know the requirements of a 12ft monitor? he may only be 6ft now but wait until he grows. you may have the room for it, but not everyone does. a 12ft monitor would need a huge enclosure in order to properly house it. and in case you didnt notice, i did tell him what he would need if he did decide to get one.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. vaderman

vaderman Embryo

If i didnt know the requirements of the croc monitor he wouldnt be living in the reptile store i work at in a 14'Lx8'Wx12'H enclosure. He's more than happy in it. Anyone who has the money to spend on a 2 thousand $ monitor must have the money to spend big money on an enclosure. And if he doesnt, then there is nothing anyone can do about that. Let him learn from his mistakes. Sorry, if i appeared offensive though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

its ok, but that is a big expense to pay in order to make a mistake. and you also have to consider that in most states crocodile monitors are illegal