Care and Size Of macklot's python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Janice, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I'm having a hard time finding a care sheet for a macklot's python, and I was wondering how big they get?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. improvius

improvius New Member

They are very closely related to Savus. They are kinda like bigger versions of Savus. Savus get around 5' max, whereas I think Macks get around 8'. Sicne they are so close, I imagine a caresheet for Savus would apply to Macks just as well.

-Imp

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Okay, thanks. That's a little big for me. I'm looking for something that doesn't get any bigger than 5 feet.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

adult females 7-8 feet and 12-16 pounds

do a search for Liasis mackloti mackloti the scientific name

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

so, tell me more about Savus....How are they for temperament, etc???

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

sava

males 3 feet sih
    females 4 feet(ish)

hardy and easy to care for they like to borrow and dig so a soft substrate is perfered, aspen, repti bark, cypress, ect.
    If they do not borrow they have known to snout rub untill scars form.

nippy when young and settle as they approach adults.

standare temps 80 cool, 85 warm, 90 basking spot

how ever thay need high humidity and dehydrate very easly. minium of 60% all the time and bu,ped to 75-80% durning shedding.

12. Janice

sounds pretty cool.

13. improvius

improvius New Member

In addition to the above, they are semi-arboreal, and will spend a lot of time above ground if you give them branches to perch on. They start out orange and get darker with more dark speckling as they age. Some adults are almost totally black, although their belllies will stay a light cream color. Their eyes are white.

They are surprisingly strong for their size. Once they grab onto something, they don't like to let go until they are good and ready. You shouldn't let adult Savus curl around your neck (seriously).

They are alert, but pretty easy to handle. They will crawl around on your arms and hands and basically treat you like a branch. Whereas a ball python is more likely to fall off if you aren't careful (based on my personal experience and observation).

One cool fact is that they are only found natively on the island of Savu (or Sawu) - a tiny little island in Indonesia. But they thrive in captivity, so now it's pretty easy to get a CBB one.

I like them better than ball pythons because the balls just want to hide all the time. ZZZzzz.... Boring! But just my opinion.

-Imp

[​IMG]

14. garybingham

garybingham Member

that is a cool looking snake