Caring for rescued anoles

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by sewawkward, May 30, 2011.

1. sewawkward

sewawkward New Member

I am unsure of how often to feed our anoles. They were rescued from my son's 4th grade class two and a half weeks ago, they went several weeks without food and lived in sub-par conditions while classroom pets(no greenery, no uvb light, misted with water that was not de-chlorinated were over crowded tank 7 anoles in a 20gal tank). They are now housed in a 30 gal tank, with lots of greenery and areas to climb on. The temperature ranges from 90 on one side near the basking light to 75 on the other, we also have a UVB light over 3/4ths the tank. We mist the cage several times a day but the humidity seems to be hover 45% between mistings. From what I've read online the setup I believe the tank setup is proper.

One of the anoles was attacked by others while it was still a class pet. It has a spot near its front leg that still looks scabby. Should we be worried about it healing or just give it more time.

The other thing I am worried about is the amount of food. From the information I've gathered online and from friends with green and brown anoles is that they should be fed every other day. We currently feed 4 small dusted live crickets per anole. They will have them gone within a minute or two and seem to be frantically searching the cage. When we handle the cricket cage the anoles go directly to the spot where we generally put crickets in. Should we look at feeding them more. They are both females, one anole is about 3" long the other 2.5" long.

They also do not seem all that active they mostly sit under the basking light all day until they see food coming their way or when the tank is misted.

I honestly don't know what I'm doing as I'm not a lizard person and have never cared for lizards. I just want to make sure that we aren't doing something horribly wrong causing them stress.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Feeding is one of the most disputed things amongst pet keepers of all kinds, and this seems to be especially true for owners of exotic pets. I can tell you my opinion on anole feeding, but just realize that mine is not the only view out there. What is "right" for me may seem "wrong" to another. You have to use your knowledge and judgement to make your own decision about what is the best feeding regimen for your anoles.

Personally, I think anoles should be fed according to how often they will eat and how often they are defecating. If they will eat every day and are defecating every day, then it stands to reason to feed them every day. If they refuse food and are not passing stool, obviously you can cut back on feeding.

Because their metabolic rate is dependent on the external temperature, your anoles' consumption should remain fairly regular as long as your temperatures are constant (assuming they are utilizing the basking spot regularly). I personally would try feeding your anoles daily, especially since yours seem so eager to eat. Because they are rescues from an overcrowded setup, it's likely they have been underfed for a long time, and their overzealous eating habits may simply be an attempt to make up for that. That's just speculation, but it makes sense to me...

As for the injury on the one anole, just keep an eye on it. It might be a good idea to pick up an antibiotic for it. I've seen anoles have simple injuries become infected very easily. Since yours is eating and active, that's a good sign that the wound is nothing detrimental to her health. And if it is scabbing up as you say it is, it should be close to healing by now. Like I said, be on the lookout for any swelling, redness, or fluid secretion, and consider applying an antibiotic if there are any open spots remaining. Zoo Med makes a good liquid ointment called Repti Wound Healing Aid for minor injuries in reptiles. There are only three ingredients, all of which are either all natural or organic fungicides, antiseptics, antibacterial agents, and/or disinfectants.

About the humidity: since it's staying pretty low between mistings, you could try getting a larger water bowl and using peat moss in the terrarium. Peat holds moisture really well and is great for getting the humidity up. You can use it in the substrate or put it in a large bowl. Mist it thoroughly 1-2 times a day and see if that helps.

Finally, I want to say thank you for rescuing these little gals and getting them a proper setup. You're doing a great job and I really wish there were more people like you out there. :)

Have a great day and let us know if you have any more questions!

StikyPaws312 likes this.