Carpet Pyhton Info

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Artuin, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Artuin

Artuin New Member

How big do they grow?
    How much do they cost (in Australian dollars)?
    Is my 4.5 foot enclosure big enough for a fully grown crpet python?

Thanks,

Artuin :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. luxie

luxie Embryo

What type of carpet python are you after Artuin, there are many different kinds??

The bigger coastal can grow up to around 11 feet (and some times more) where as some thing on the small end of the scale such as a jungle carpet python wihich would be lucky to reach 7 feet then you have bredlis, murray darlings, diamonds, darwins and the rest in between. On top of all that then there is the intergrades, hybids as well as colour and pattern morphs so there is a lot to choose from.

Obviously some of these carpet pythons would be more suited to your enclosure than others but it would probably be easier to work that out if let us know the other dimensions as well (width, height) and also the heating and ventilation system you are planning to use as some species for example Diamond Pythons require more ventilation than other species.

If you don't know what sort of carpet you are after let us know what you are looking for (do you want something with bright colouring? Something that will grow big? Is this your first python? Do you want something that is not going to be too snappy?) and we might be able to give you some suggestions.

Depending on species, age, markings, morphs and so forth, the prices of carpet pythons can vary greatly from aroung the $120 mark for something like a normal coastal carpet python hatchling to upwards of $1000 for some morphs.

Cheers,
    Luxie

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Carpet Python

I mean like the common one that growns like, I don't know 6-7 feet. What species would that be.

Thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. luxie

luxie Embryo

RE: Carpet Python

There are a few but my suggestion would be something like maybe a bredli or murray darling. If you don't mind me asking how much are you looking to spend and do you want a hatchling, yearling, adult? I am not trying to pry but if know this sort of information it would be a lot easier to to make a suggestion that is going to suit you. There is no point in me saying "here, go buy this carpet for $700" if you only have $200 to spend. Also if possible can you tell me a bit more about the enclosure?

Again, I am not trying to pry but the more information you give the easier it is to help :)

Cheers,
    Misky

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Artuin

Artuin New Member

No, your not prying

I am interested in a carpet python like as young as i can get it so it can get use to me handling it at a young age, i have anywhere up to $1000 to spend (not that i need to spend it all) your Australian, right? :)

I will post a pic of the enclosure i have soon so if there is anything particular about it (as you can tell i am extremely new to snakes), ok thanks.

Thanks

Artuin :D

P.S. you are not prying at all

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bakes

Bakes New Member

12. luxie

luxie Embryo

Yes I am Australian Artuin :)

For about $1000 you definately have a lot of options. If I were you I personally would be looking at a Bredli Python (also sometime refered to as a centralian python), a Murray Darling Carpet (also sometime called an inland carpet) or a Diamond Python. I have found in my own experience that all these tend to have a rather good temperament and are a good beginners python. Good news for you is generally all off these species can be bought as hatchling for under $500 with Bredlis being around $300, Murray Darlings around $200 and diamonds around $300. All that being said the only carpet I would really stay away from for a beginner is the jungle carpets, as the ones that I have had anything to do with have been pretty snappy, but remember this is only my opinion.

Personally my top pick would be a Bredli (I'm even buying 2 for myself next week) as I personally find the Murray Darling a little plain to look at and the Diamonds take a bit more reseach so that you can set the conditions up perfectly to avoid the dreaded Diamond Python Syndrome.

My other tip would be (and I made this mistake myself when I bought my first snake) stay away from pet shops!! I have found that most pet shops charge 2 or 3 time more for reptiles than you pay buying directly from a breeder and generall a lot of pet shops don't have the knowledge to help you like a breeder can. Also 9 out of 10 times the pythons that you buy from breeders are of a far better quality and are healthier than what you buy in a pet shop.

Check out the links Bakes has posted above and see if you come across anything you like :D

If you are interested in a Bredli and are looking at buying one soon let me know and I will put you in touch with the breeder I am buying mine from, they are some truely awesome bredlis!!

Cheers,
    Luxie

13. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Thanks

Thanks for all your help, It will do me greatly.

When I get the python I will post a pic of it (if I can find out how)

Thanks

14. jambooti

jambooti New Member

RE: Thanks

I would consider Irian Jaya/West Papuans...this is my new girl arriving Tuesday

[​IMG]

15. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Nice

nice but are they found in australia

16. luxie

luxie Embryo

Re: Nice

Nope, but you can get Coastal Carpet Pythons here with similar colouring and markings. I think that the coastals are a great begginer's snake (my first python was a coastal) but they will probably go a bit big for what you are after Artuin.

Here's something from Australia for you, probably not what you are after but just so you can get an idea of what's here. These are my two new 18 month old diamond pythons that will be arriving next week.

[​IMG]

17. Artuin

Artuin New Member

They are beautiful

they are great, how big do they grow? where in Australia do you live, are the rules in the licence differrent or anything? are the diamonds common among breeders? Lol im asking heaps.

thanks

18. Artuin

Artuin New Member

This is my enclosure is it ok its like 4.5 feet long and 50cm wide and 70 cm high. As you can see it's not set up I still need heating rock, hiding place and a ply wood climbing thing.

[​IMG]

19. luxie

luxie Embryo

Diamond Python are pretty commonly available from breeders here. If you are interested in one I strongly suggest you look into something called "Diamond Python Syndrome" which is fairly common in these pythons. For are start if you are lloking at buying a diamond you should either:
    * Be able to provide your snake with some time outdoors (in something like a Flexrarium if you don't have an outdoor enclosure) OR
    * Install a UVA/UVB Light in your enclosure
    Diamond pythons also require a lower temperature that other carpets so you may need to add more ventilation (how much ventilation is there in the enclosure, I can't see from the pics). You also have to be careful not to over feed Diamonds as a lot of them are guts and an overweight diamond is more likely to suffer from DPS.

I also wouldn't buy a heat rock as they can be extreamly dangerous (they can over heat quite easily and I even know someone who had one catch fire). I doubt in queensland you would need anything more than a heat lamp for a Diamond (that is all I use) but if you want something for back up I would go for a heat mat.

There are differences in the laws from state to state but I do believe that you can own Diamonds in Queensland (but I would double check before buying one)

Cheers,
    Luxie

20. luxie

luxie Embryo

and they roughly grow to about 2.5 metres. The enclosure you have would be fine for a few years but you would probably need to upgrade your enclosure after that

21. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help and I am very interested in them so I will look into DPS and I am willing to buy a bigger enclosure when it grows out of this one. Heres the ventilation this is it is on both sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres my cat in a funny sitting position, Lol

[​IMG]

Thanks Artuin :)

22. luxie

luxie Embryo

RE: Thanks for all the help

Your ventilation should be fine, just keep an eye on your temperatures. I will send you a personal message with a link to to a good article on DPS.

23. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Thanks

Thanks have you read the private message i have sent you?

Cheers, Artuin ;)