carpet Python as a Starter

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by gecko94, Nov 16, 2007.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Hi- I've never had a snake before, but i am considering a lot. One of my first choices is a Carpet Python. Are they good starters? Or do they get giant, have temper problems, picky eaters like balls, and are they a high maintenance snake? Please answer they following questions and any other things i would have to know. Thanks! :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

They are great starter snakes, typically not picky eaters at all and not at all high maintenance. Here is good care sheet, lots of good information there. I have two, they are my first (and only...so far...snakes), both are Irian Jayas (West Papuan) which are the smallest of the Carpets. My male is 18 months old and just a bit over 4', he may get another foot but probably just a bit shy of that really. My female is still a wee babe but she should be around 6' or so, give or take. Jungles get slightly bigger than that and Coastals can top out at around 10'. Remember though, they are a slender snake compared to a Red Tail Boa or Ball.
    The only thing to be aware of is that they have a 'nippy' reputation. My male was not too bad as a baby and is fine now, he would rather run than strike. My little female thinks nothing of biting but is getting much better as time goes on, she's so little it's no big deal though and I know she will calm down with age and handling.
    Get one! They really are nice snakes and there are some stunning ones out there.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Okay, thanks. I was also wondering if they are good handling snakes like balls. I know you said they are nippy but from what i've experienced pet snake bites don't really hurt. But when you siad they would rather run, would i be able to catch a baby? or are they really fast? What is the record length for an Irian Jaya? Thanks!

P.S. What would be the average price for a normal phase from a decent breeder i could see at a show?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

I don't know what the record length is but have heard of females reaching a bit over 7', I'm really hoping Peggy Sue isn't one of those :shock:. Typically though they don't get that big, 6' or a hair bigger for a female can be expected. Peggy Sue is in a 10 gallon tank right now so there is no worry of her 'outrunning' me and I don't put her on the floor so she has nowhere to go when she's out. Ira is not going to set any land speed records but he can move when he wants to. When I have him out on the floor he makes a bee-line for chair or table legs and is pretty determined to get to them, and he's a strong little bugger if he does beat me! Obviously you need to keep a close eye on anything that you have out, be it a Corn, Boa, Python or Leopard gecko, they need to be watched and monitored...any of them can disappear in a flash if your attention is diverted. I have never handled a Ball but it is worth noting that Carpets don't sit still, they are explorers and are on the move when out.
    Average price for a decent IJ starts at around $125 and goes up from there, I would think they would be slightly less at a show though.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

there ar some IJ for 100 on kingsnake right now. i agree with clem on pretty much everythin. although i was at a show 2day and i must have handled 5 jungles and none of them bit me, even the babes. id say go for it

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

i think its fair to say that any reptile would explore if you put it on the floor. but i can say that bp's arent too fast, but can move when they want to. but that also goes for just about any reptile.

12. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I have a 5' male jungle and I had one that was bigger than him. I also cared for a smaller diamond jungle mix and I had a huge coastal at one point. They aren't bad. They know how to huff and puff though. I will say that my jungle got me one time as a feeding response bite and it hurt. Ripped my finger open pretty good. They have long teeth like all arboreals do. Other than the bite I took while feeding (stupid mistake) I've only been struck at once by my other male. He was in shed and I had to move him. He didn't like that too much.