Carpet python keepin the pair together

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by CRAZY4LIZARDS, Mar 1, 2009.

1. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

uhm ok ive been keeping snakes for awhile now and many exotics ive always keep them in there own tank to do there own thing but i have this pair of carpet pythons ive been readin in a few places its cool to keep them in the same tank as the are a pair there about a 1 1/2 yr old coastal jags i already feed them outside their tank so i know that wont be a problem the terrium is large enought the male is about 4 feet while the female is about 3.5 a slow grower but she is so nice so i was wondering what other peoples insights and thoughts may be???
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I too have read the keeping Carpets together is not a big deal. I'd say that as long as they are eating well, and you keep them fed so neither decides to go after the other for a meal, it is OK. Stress will manifest itself in different ways, but the most common is not eating, as far as I know. If you intend on breeding them, however, they will have to be separated.

FWIW, I recently got 2 baby Bredlis. I have them in a tank, divided in the middle. They were smaller when they came than I had thought they'd be, and fit through the small space between the divider and the top. Now they both spend equal time on either side, and make no effort to stay away from the other. They eat outside of the tank, and both have been eating well. I actually find them all wrapped together more than not. Neither seems any worse off this way, and they both have more space now too. Something to think about.

Jeff

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

OK yeah, my thoughts excatly the same thing with some of my ball pythons i had a seperator in a 50 gal and they alway past over top of the divider wich is like only an inch of space to get to the other one and curl up and bask togethe they just love to be together and are eating well with no problems. i was wondering if anyone one else keeps there snakes together? so after i know the female and the male have done there thing and she is gravid then i would take the male out? what are your thought on this?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Yea from what I have read, severale people have had luck with keeping JCPs togethter. I for one would not suggest it as an over all rule but I have never had experience with mulitpal JCP. you do have to keep them close to the same size, yours are. My concern is that you may want to be perpared for babies, being that they are male and female.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bodom85

bodom85 Member

It should be fine, just be sure they have have room to get away from eachother and they aren't fighting for food or space.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

well the plan is to breed them i was just wondering if you can stilll breed them if there in the same tank year round i am a breeder of many snakes and just love jag carpets decided well hey i already got like 40 balls and like 20 corns matis well grab two carpets lol i am currently working on my rack station for 2009 hatchlings i should be hatching in the 200 to 300 area so this rack has to be big enought and still have room to fit in my house does any one feel really strongly on not keeping them together i just really need the room rite now!!! i will have a seperate tank for him once i see she is gravid.....

12. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Well if the plan is to breed, I see no real problems.

13. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

yeah thanks never keeped jcp's just wondering a few thing that vary from place to place some say yes other say no you know how it is just done want to shoot a plus 2000$ investment down the drain.......thanks every one for there insight!!!

14. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I have 1.1 BPs that I also keep together. I have had no issues, but have a friend who tried the same thing and it didn't go so well. Mine rarely coil in separate hides, and commonly come out together. The female is not as good an eater as the male, but not a problem. I just chalk that up to BP tendencies. Mine are both CBB. My friend, however, had 2 wild hatched babies, and one didn't make it (they were both healthy when received). They both ate for crap from the start and I did recommend they be separated. After one died, the other started eating very well, an obvious sign of stress from being housed together.

I would just keep close tabs on their interaction. It should be obvious from their behavior whether they are well suited for that arrangement. As long as they are active, and eat, it's a winner. Personally, for my Bredlis I intend on making a large dual enclosure for when they get older. There will be a pass through for access to either part, but be blockable during breeding time. Given they are '08 hatchlings I can take my time building it. Depending on how long it takes for me to complete I may build one for my BPs too. I do not intend for them to breed, so separation later on is more an issue.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jeff