Catflap for Beardie?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by DasLouis, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DasLouis

DasLouis Embryo

OK, so this is a purely hypothetical question.

I'm gonna get a beardie when I have the space, I've already decided on that. What I'm wondering is whether it would be a bad idea to install a catflap in it's viv, so it has run of the house when I'm out? My rationale is that if it knows where the hot place is (the viv), it'll always head home when it needs to, as long as there is a method of travel like a ramp, or something.

Things that concern me: there might be things about that a beardie shouldn't eat, such as the bits and pieces that invariably make it under the sofa; the beardie might not get enough UVB if it's out roaming the house; it might get lost or stuck somewhere.

Has anyone else tried this? Is this just a terrible idea?!? I was considering this as a modification to the viv once the beardie reached adulthood.

Thanks!

Lou.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I would rather only take the beardie out when you ARE HOME, don't allow it to go out by itself, just my opinion.

JEFFREH likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

This probably wouldn't be the best idea for a bearded dragon. They should really be confined to the space of their vivarium unless supervised.

I understand the desire to incorporate pets into the household and try to provide as much space to roam as possible, but it really is for the best of the beardie's interest to remain in its enclosure. I don't think they have the mental capacity to be trained to use a catflap or 'understand' that it can be penetrated routinely. In addition, these animals are quite lazy and prone to getting themselves into tight, potentially hazardous places of the home.