Caution! Where do you buy your crickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Explodingboy01, Jul 28, 2004.

1. DiamondDancur

DiamondDancur New Member

I get my crickets from Petsmart, and found one of those spiders in with my crickets. It was hiding in this really tiny nook in the egg carton and if you didnt look real close at it you could easily mistake it for a cricket because it scruches itself all up. Ever since then I'm always inspecting my crix, and just a few days ago I got more crickets and I found a big mealie mixed in with them, now I make sure the employee gets them personally instead of getting those baggies that already have crix in them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

I've found those in my crix aswell, in the UK. Look the same but maybe it's a harmless copycat.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zeek

zeek Embryo

buying crickets

Well everyone is talking about Wormman.com. I recently ordered for the first time from them and have been having a terrible time getting my order. I finally got ahold of them via email and they tracked my order. It was lost in transit. Don't know where it went but I bet whoever got them, sure got a shocker when they found 1000 crickets & 100 superworms in the box. LOL Anyways, they sent me an email saying that they reshipped my order via UPS over night, so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I just spent $30 last night at the pet store for 300 crickets, which will only last a few days. Ridiculous!! Wormman does have some great prices, so I hope this time my shipment arrives so I can order from them again. I'm going to keep an eye out for spiders too, I freak when I see one, I'm just gettin' used to having a cricket jump on me. My dog loves chasing the escapees though...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. zeek

zeek Embryo

got my crickets!!

:) Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my crickets & super worms today from Worman. They sent them overnight. I was very impressed, the crickets were the size I ordered and not a dead one in the bunch. I'm glad we got this straightened out, so I can order again. Their prices are great. I only paid $20.50 for 1000 crickets/100 superworms and that included shipping. I didn't order the over night shipping, but because my order was lost, wormman sent them overnight. I guess they are a good place. It's only my first time ordering, but I'll try them again.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

well just to add two more companies to the bunch...

BigAppleHerp and Ebugco I got at least one spider every time I ordered from Big Apple and I got two when I ordered from Ebugco.com Which BY THE WAY both spiders had laid eggs when I found them... I squashed both the spiders and the eggs.

Next up on my list... who knows... but I HATE SPIDERS!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kimberlyanne999

kimberlyanne999 Member

ok guys so i broke down & spent the few extra bucks & ordered from armstrong. all i can say is wow....big healthy crickets! not ONE dead...NO smell, they got here super fast. there were NO spiders (i checked everywhere) there were these strange lil worm type bugs (about 5 of them) kind of centipede looking... no sure what they are. but i am impressed for sure. (thx cheri for the advice.. i should have taken it sooner)

12. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

::shivvers:: I'll take the worms over the spiders any day... I hate spiders.

13. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I ordered from wormman.com last night, hopefully get some good service.. awsome prices to! Ill post feedback on them when I recieve them.

14. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

If the centipede worms are what I think they are, they are purposely put in there. They are scavengers and eat any dead things to keep the box clean.

15. bandman

bandman New Member

I havea local pet store by me that grows their oenworms super wormir own , crix, mealies, wax worms. Good resource to have!!!

16. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

crix

It's alittle unnerving to know that even Petsmart has spiders in they're cricket containers. That's where I get mine. It's been my experience there that they don't clean the containers very well so they'd definently not know if there where spiders in them. They tried to sell me 36 crix, half of them dead. The girl just scooped them off the bottom, then counted the dead ones too. The girl didn't want to touch them, they're so scary :roll:

Becca

17. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

ive seen those spiders in crickets at my work, i immediately squashed them, i REALLLY hate spiders, but had i known taht they were those, i would have stomped harder and told my manager about them

18. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

You know spiders help keep other bugs under control, right? Kind of like the whole "I hate snakes" thing, but if they weren't around we'd be overrun by rodents.

19. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I've been ordering from reptilefood.com for about 4 years now and have never seen any type of insect other than crickets in the boxes and have only had one bad shipment that was immediately replaced.
    I think everyone has that one animal they just aren't comfortable around. About the only insect i can't stand, regardless of their role in the environment, are ticks. They make my skin crawl - lol. I don't really mind spiders. i usually just scoop them up and send them outside. Except when they're in the shower when I'm in there...then they die...err, drown. Sorry but a girl has to draw the line somewhere.

20. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Oh, and for the record, those pics do not appear to be of a brown recluse. A brown recluse can be identified by not only body shape, but also the fact that it will have 6 eyes set in three pairs where many spiders (including the one in the pic on the first page of this thread) have 8 eyes in two rows of four.
    Here's a good url for identifying brown recluse:
    http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/s...al/recluse.html

21. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Good pick-up. It also lacks the violin shape, and has colors on the back half of its body.
    I hate spiders quite a bit, so I just go with the squash first, ask later policy. I saw a couple in college we thought might be brown recluse, but didn't feel like getting close enough to know for sure. Why risk a bite when you can kill from a distance.

22. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

i have only ever seen the little centipede things, like Spot said. And they are put in purposely. If I EVER found a spider in with my bugs, that would be it for me. last summer, I found this huge spider on the outside wall of our house, the biggest spider I have seen outside in the wild, around here, and I lost it! I made my hubby catch it and kill it. I just can't stand spiders.

23. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I just recieved my order from wormman.com VERY fast shipping and only a few dead crickets (the ones that got underneath the cardboard on the bottom and got squashed, but thats about it! 18.00 overnight shipping for 250 crickets ordered on sunday got here today.

24. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

oh i kno but it doenst stop my from being creeped out by them, i respect them just get very creeped out by em

25. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I try to leave them be for that reason. But if anything may or may not be either a brown recluse or black widow I'm squishing it. I'm creeped out, but they do keep the other bugs in check.