CGD vs. insects ??

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by meandmyarrow, May 23, 2010.

1. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Hi all,

We recently got a crestie and Love him! He's about 1 year old and was eating crickets at the pet store. For us, he is eating crickets, mealies, supers and babyfood fruit (he seems to really like pears!).

I looked for the T-rex CGD but didn't see it available at the store, so I'd like to know what the difference is - why is the CGD better? And is there a reputable place online to order that we can also order cricks and worms for our leo? If so, is shipping to hot southern states ever a problem?

He has calcium with D3 and a vitamin as well, we've seen him drink outta his bowl and lick water off the sides of his tank after misting, don't really know if that makes a difference with anything.

Plus, since he seems to have existed on crickets prior to us and he's already 1 year old, is it good to change him over if the CGD is that much better for him to have? I'm guessing if it is I would need to do it slowly, so any info I can get on the best way to do that is helpful.

Thanks alot.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

he needs to have cgd as a staple. crickets and other bugs are fine as snacks but dont have the right nutrition for a cresty. they are fruit eating geckos and cant thrive well on a diet of mainly bugs

also baby food is another yummy snack but should not be fed all the time since its so sugary

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well the diet you have for him right now is ok, he's getting his fruit, protien, and calcium... there's some debate about feeding cresties mealworms and superworms b/c of their shell and how they might in them in the wild but more often than not they wouldn't b/c they spend all their time in trees.
    The CGD is a complete diet and just makes things easier for you since there is no guess work involved (has he had too much protein, is he not getting enough fruit? etc) I buy my cgd right from Allen Repashy's website... http://www.store.repashy.com/retail/index....;category_id=24 you can find a dealer near you or order from any of them online - they all have the up-to-date versions so you'll have the latest and greatest :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

thanks to you both. I will get him what he needs :D .