Cham newbie.

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Advent, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

Alright, from what I've gathered (not much) is that first of all, I'd like to get a chameleon.

I've pretty much lowered it down to a Veiled or Jackson chameleon. Which would you recommend for a chameleon newbie and why? Also, what sex would you recommend?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

Veileds are hardier than Jackson's, although no chameleon is bullet proof, a Veiled would probably be a better choice for an introduction species. I would recommend a male to start with.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Advent

Advent Member

Do you recommend veiled out of all the chameleon species to start out with? As they are omnivorious, when I make my dragon's salad I could just make a separate one for it too. I think a veiled would work well. I always have crickets available, and I could order in a different type of worm or insect every once and a while for it.

Where could I get one? I don't really want to buy from a pet shop. LLLreptiles doesn't have veileds listed at the moment. There is a reptile show the end of this month, but I won't have enough money by then.

Thanks for the quick reply.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

Advent LLLreptile will have some veilds available this week or next, dont rush into it. If you get a baby veild please have a screened enclosre for it, with the proper lighting. A baby veiled will not eat salad. They will eat crickets and MAY eat salad, later, but not much, they suggest hanging a leaf of vege from the top of the cage, but they would rather take a bite out of their ficus tree.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

Yes veiled would be the wise choice. But if you want in between the veilded and the jackson, i would suggest a panther chameleon. Male will be your best choice because you do not have to worry about egg bound. They can lay eggs even without seeing the male which is a hassle.

Meow

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Advent

Advent Member

Arent panthers aggressive? Why would you suggest a panther?

Thanks.

I will have the enclosure set up properly. I'll make a plan soon, and it's really impossible for me to get one within this month because I need to get the money(i have $5 right now), then build the cage, then order the supplys, then lastly, get the chameleon.

12. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

GreenGod, why in the world would you recommend LLL knowing they are having eye infection problems with their veileds right now?... Forget a panther chameleon, they are too expensive and fragile for a beginner unless you're willing to spend many long nights researching beforehand and have other reptile experience to draw from. Even then, IMO, it's better to start with a species that can tollerate a wider range of mistakes until you get comfortable with chameleons in general.

13. Advent

Advent Member

Thanks CricketFood, although panthers' colors are amazing, I'd rather go with something I could properly take care of. What makes you say a veiled over a jackson? Just wandering.

Thanks

14. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

Veileds are slightly larger and are a hardier species in general. They can tollerate more minor mistakes by new keepers than any other chameleon species, and believe me, even experience keepers make mistakes, so it's just a better choice to begin with.

15. Advent

Advent Member

OK, Panthers are a little too expensive for a teenager like myself. Meowmix says jacksons are more work and I don't really need that.

What all colors do veileds turn? Another just wandering question. Also, what kind of screening would I be using for a custom cage? Could a juvie veiled male live in a full enclosure or would I have to section it off? I'm looking to put the cage in my room. It's pretty quiet during the week in there, I only have a beardie and two cockatiels in my room. On the weekend I usually have some music playing or pc game and xbox noises, I could keep those down though. My beardie doesn't seem to mind at all. Would it bother my chameleon though? My birds also chirp occasionally. The birds could be moved out though, I was thinking about doing that anyway.

16. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

I suggest them, just because one clutch is bad, and they have taken them off the page, doesnt mean the next will be. Scott and John at LLLreptile.com are very concerened, and if u tell them about the problem right away they dont leave u in the cold, they offered to replace my cham if something happens to her because i communicated the problem to them like you should. No reason to hold a grudge when its not their fault.

17. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

they wont bother the chamy, as long as its in a low traffic area of the house, as they are not very sociable, but some are. Mine comes to me when i placed my hand in her cage, i hear its rare to find that in a chamy.

18. Advent

Advent Member

Well if mine isnt very friendly I'm alright with that, though if it is it would make it more enjoyable but that's alright. I have two cockatiels, a beardie, and two dogs to play with though. I just love the way chameleons look and move and eat. They're just cool animals.

19. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

O.K Im sorry but I think I might have taken Cricket Food the wrong way. Again what ever I post is in my opinion and what i have experience personally. It does not matter if a panther needs to be read up on more, all species of reptile should be read up on before even purchasing. So it doenst mean that you should get a veilded with no research done at all.

Again in my own experience this is how I rate the list for beginners and what to start off with first:
    Veilded
    Panther
    Jackson
    Fischer
    That is my order of list. Veilded and Panther are very hardy, but veilds would come first when it comes to hardness. Panthers do cost a lot more in the states but they are a lot nicer then veilds. I started out with a panther when i began and its still doing fine. I have never had it even hiss at me. But if you pick a veild you have a higher chance of getting an agressive one then the panther chameleon. It's really a draw out of a hat.

If you have already had experience with chameleons such as the panther or the veild then I would suggest the Jackson. But they do not tolerate any mistakes until the veild and panthers. So my suggestion is either a veild or a panther and i vote panther because they are much nicer then veild and less agressive. But veild is just as good.

Like you said panthers are to expensive and jacksons are a lot of work. So get a veilded chameleon. If you don't want problems to arise within the first month I suggest you do more reserach and reading.

Good Luck

Meow

20. Advent

Advent Member

Yea, I'll make sure I do plenty of reasearch. If I had the money, then I would most likely go for a panther, but I don't so it's probly a veiled for me.

For those of you who have one, what are their colors like? And also, what do you recommend for cage dimentions and what type of screen should I use. Last, do adult male veileds really get 20"?

Thanks,
    Advent

21. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

Ya, Meow, my wording didn't quite come out the way I intended it too. Every species needs to be researched before the purchase, not just panthers like my post read. Sorry 'bout that and thanks for pointing it out! I'm not sure I agree with you about panthers being very hardy though, at least to put them up there with veilds by comparison. I'd say it's more likely that you did enough research before, during, and obviously after the purchase since you are here, was fortunate enough to get a strong healthy animal to begin with, and lucky enough not to make too many minor mistakes along the way. For every story of success like this, there are a lot more of failure. IOW, good job! =0) Yes, it can be done. (gawd that sounds corny but I mean it) I've just read too many posts over the years of dead chameleons (and other herps for that matter) because someone wasn't prepared enough, couldn't afford vet care, was too stubborn to listen to advice, or too lazy to do the research, and bought the animal because "it's cool". (not saying this is you Advent so don't take it the wrong way, obviosly you're here seeking advice) Personally, I feel chameleons should not be an introduction species to reptiles, even vields. There are many other species that can tollerate the learning process so much better and give you an insight into just how different reptiles are compared to mamals.

One thing to condiser about this thread too is the finacial postion Advent is in. Don't go broke buying the animal. You need to make sure you keep money in reserve to handle everything from feeding (not cheap) to emergency vet care, should the need arrise, to making sure the cage is set up correctly. Generally, buying the animal is the cheapest part of the whole deal. Raising it properly and providing everything it needs to thrive is expensive by comparison. Sounds like you already know that but it never hurts to point that fact out =0)

OK, totally going another direction now... here's a pic of one of my Ancaramy "Pink Panthers" you might like.

[​IMG]

22. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

Some have pretty nice coloration actually and carry trendy names like "sunburts" and what not... Should be some photos in the gellery or just google "veiled cameleon pictures". Final cage side for an adult male, the larger the better =0) Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than 2'w x 2'd x 4'h. Yes, they can reach 20" or more with males having a crest over 3" high. Keep in mind that half of that length is in the tail that is usually coiled around something unless they are walking so he won't seem that large.

23. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

No problem, but I can understand what you mean, if its your first time you get a reptile then its suggested a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko. I compeletly agree with you. But everyones got there opinion on everything. Advent made up his/her mind to get a veild so lets him him/her out:)

Meow

24. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

lol you panther beats mine but I wanted to join in the fun and post mine. But you guys in the states are so lucky to get such nice species!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meow

25. Advent

Advent Member

Alright yea, I'm a guy, and my name is Ryan, I'm 14 and ... stuff. Just so you know because I guess I'll be around this section of the forum quite a bit.

I already have a bearded dragon and a three toed box turtle at the moment, along with two birds and a 75 gallon fish setup I take care of. So I'm going for something that's not a beginners animal. My budget is alright for a veiled, when I said I only had $5, I ment I only had $5 towards my chameleon at the moment, not all the cash I have.

I've read a few care sheets, and I think I'm going to plan to make my cage 3 feet long x 2 feet wide x 5 feet tall. What type of screening should I use? I also have a question about the lighting. I'll probly get the longest zoomed reptiwhatever 5.0 and get two clamp lamps with 60W bulbs on each side of the light. I'll arrange some vines and put fake plants around the outside of the wood frame, and then hang and put some real plants in there. What kind of real plants do you guys have in your enclosures? At the bottom I'll probly but spahgnum peat moss(sp?) and a rock or two and maybe one of those fake waterfalls, this might have to come later once I observer that he is healthy and such.

That's pretty much all I got so far.

Nice chameleon pictures as well.

Thanks,

Advent