chameleon skin problem urgent help..

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by adamf, Jun 3, 2009.

1. adamf

adamf Embryo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. adamf

adamf Embryo

ok been to the vet he never ruled out burns but he said by looking how the skin shedding was going on its more likely to be an infection under the dead skin due to the humidity being far too low even though he has his fountain thats far too low on its own.
    The big bit on his back came off easily and the cream was applied as you can see in the pics the medication he has.
    He said as for burns this should have happened before and this was more gradual over time rather than oh that was hot ouch...
    thanks for the advice guys i will keep you up to date with his progress..

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Heika

Heika Moderator

I am surprised the vet is saying that is a skin infection. I have never seen a skin infection that so looked like a burn. The cream you were given is a cream for burns as well.. the flamazine is silver sulfa.

Adam, you need to seriously consider taking that bulb out of the cage. Burns happen just like that with chameleons.. for months, they can be fine.. and then all the sudden, the chameleon has burned himself. It happens.

Good luck to you!

Heika

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. adamf

adamf Embryo

well i had a problem and searched for help i found it here thanks guys but im still gutted this has happened and feel bad i just hope the poor bugger is not in pain if he is would it be better to have him put down??

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Heika

Heika Moderator

Hey Adam,

Another cool thing about chameleons is that they don't feel pain in the same way that people do. You said your cham is still eating, still moving around the cage and doing cham business, right? If so, then he will do well. I wouldn't put him down if he were mine.

Take heart, you have done a good job by getting him to the vet and taking care of his injuries. The only things left are to get him healed again and to make a few changes to his living situation so it doesn't happen again. :p

Heika

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adamf

adamf Embryo

he is doing well eating and drinking fine his skin is looking nice his wounds are healing excellent i will post more pics soon thanks guys...

12. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

great! go ask us again if you have any problems :p

13. Heika

Heika Moderator

So glad to hear that, Adam. It sounds like you are doing well for him. :blink:

14. adamf

adamf Embryo

how long would you keep him on the antibiotics ??

15. bruno

bruno Moderator

The vet should have told you how long to give them and at what interval.
    Sometimes it's a week of daily dose others it's 14 days doing it everyother day should say on bottle..if not check with your vet to make sure.
    You are doing great with him well done.

16. Heika

Heika Moderator

With chameleons, I keep them on only about 7 days unless there is a major infection going on. The reason I do that is because antibiotics are pretty harsh on their systems. You can keep him on the cream until it runs out, though. No infection showing, right?

17. adamf

adamf Embryo

what about the baytril??

18. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Adam,
    The Baytril is the anti-biotic and having looked at the pic of bottle, I am very suprized it doesn't state how long to give it.
    I would go along with Heika and say 7 days max. but please check with the vet.
    The BSP vitamins are just what they call a "broad spectrum vitamin" drops. Once the antibiotics have stopped then a few days after the vits can stop as well.
    I'm sure Heika will come and add to this.

19. adamf

adamf Embryo

cheers i will check with the vet the bottle is only small but when you give 0.1 ml its big.
    Just still gutted it happened grr thanks guys

20. bruno

bruno Moderator

Dont beat yourself up over it, could have happened to anyone, just one of those things.
    You have done everything possible to put things right. That makes you a good keeper.