Check out my cage (20g high)

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Norse, May 3, 2009.

1. Norse

Norse Embryo

[​IMG]

This is his first tank. He's just a little guy and this will be replaced with a massive 6'x4'x2.5' cage as soon as I can save up the funds to make it all in one shot (few weeks). Not bad for just a little 20 gallon high, eh?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Norse

Norse Embryo

He just came to say hi

[​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. crusty

crusty New Member

looks awesome!. cant see properly, is the ground all water?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Norse

Norse Embryo

Thanks! No the bricks there create dry land, which has a mixture of moss and bed-a-beast on it. He's hardly ever on the ground tho, lol.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BULGYEYES

BULGYEYES Embryo

thats a pretty good idea of the bricks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Norse

Norse Embryo

I got bored of that 20g high, so I made this.

[​IMG]

Hint, look at the front left on the 20g high (which is now just a water tank, lol). You'll see my tiny little super stressed out CWD!

12. crusty

crusty New Member

mmmm.....jealosy is bad isnt it???. well, I AM NOT BLOODY PERFECT SO I AM JEALOUSSSS!!! i want it !!!! i mean badly!!!!!!!!!!. how on earth did you do that?, how big is it?, i've been thinking on making something like that plus an outside enclosure, big project u knoe, but i've been so exciting about it, cant wait to start, i just being too busy, but i start i about 3 weeks, need hints...your kind of hints. i was thinking on buying one of those big office kind of furniture and then put glass around, just need the structure you know what i mean?, what u reckon.

anyway, how u work out the heating and humidity in that humangus thing? please you got to tell all about it!. for the sake of lizard kind

congratulations mate.

13. Norse

Norse Embryo

lol, it wasn't too hard. I made it in less than a week. It's basically just a wood frame (1x2, 2x2) covered with finished ply and outdoor screen. Then coated with a water based water sealant to keep the ply from rotting away on the bottom of the cage. The heat is actually perfect temps for him. The humidity isn't too bad down below where the plants are as well. He's got it made, lol. The inside size is about 6 foot tall by 4 foot wide by 2 foot deep. Pretty massive.

[​IMG]

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

Very impressive setup you have there, well done.
    Something you may wish to consider, I used rope when I had basilisks and found they were not happy with the movement of it when climbing round.
    I replaced the rope with fairly solid branches partly decorated in plastic foliage and vine.
    They became far more active and used the entire tank more often.
    Just a thought.

15. Norse

Norse Embryo

Thanks man. The ropes I got are tied fairly tight and they don't move with him running around on it. I got the thinner one tied off on the fatter one in 2 places up there as well, which keeps it pretty solid. Check out this pic I snapped as I came home today and started watering my new plants.

[​IMG]

I bet he's so happy, lol.

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

He will love all that camouflage.
    Looking great now :D

17. Norse

Norse Embryo

This is great. He's getting more used to his cage and has found/remembers where the heat spots are. Now he's running all over the ropes at top speed and jumping all over the place living it up in his home. I'm going to try and feed now some crickets today and maybe try to find some tiny mice or live pinkies. It's so cool to see him leaping through the air on those high ropes, lol.

18. bruno

bruno Moderator

This is great news, glad he likes his new home. He's obviously enjoying the extra space, from what you have said.
    You mention live pinkie mice, trying to source these will be difficult. Suggest using f/t's, thaw them in hot water, then while still warm dangle/wiggle in front of nose with tweezers. His main diet should be any type of insect and use pinkie's as a treat rather than staple diet.

19. Norse

Norse Embryo

Yea Ive tried frozen thawed but he wont give them a second thought. And I know large prey like mice and such should make up only 10% of their diet.

20. bruno

bruno Moderator

Fair enough, was just a thought and you are fully aware of his diet :D

21. Norse

Norse Embryo

Yea having owned a fairly large leopard gecko website in the past I know all too well the reality that most people who keep reptiles are impulse buyers who don't do the proper research before buying, lol.

Anyway I really love this guy, here's another pic of him just after he splashed in for a nice swim. The brown stuff on the bottom of the water tank there is fish food for the feeder fish Im keeping alive. I plan on feeding one or two to him tomorrow. He's ate a feeder fish before, but only once.

[​IMG]

22. Norse

Norse Embryo

I decided to throw him a fish just now. This is what happened:

[​IMG]

The white thing is obviously the fish, lol.

23. crusty

crusty New Member

wow! impressive. he really looks happy and in its own territory there. i am happy for you mate!. if i follow you way of building it, i would have to do it larger that taller, since mine are AWD, and they dont seem to like much climbing as much, at least my babies. Doesnt your little guy try and bite the screen?. oh and one bimbo question if i may ;) would grass (the natural one that you buy per meter) survive inside something like that, if so, would that be any good for the WD?. i am just thinking Natural.
    anyway, you should be proud of you building skills and having made that little cutie so happy

24. Norse

Norse Embryo

Thanks! I really should have made my cage 5-6 feet long but I dont think I could move it around the house at all if it was that big! I went for more height since these guys climb like crazy. He doesn't mess with the screen at all except for climbing on it, and no snout rub! He was rubbin so much on the glass tank I had him in I had to get this one done ASAP. He's got a bit of an abrasion on his lip already from the rubbing he did, but that's all fixed now with this new cage. As for the grass, I actually planted sun/shade mix grass seed in there a few inches under the soil. I keep it moist and watered so we'll see if it'll grow with the lights I have! I'm not sure if it will or not, but I thought that'd be really cool looking as well, real natural. I don't see any grass being harmful as long as you make sure no pesticides are on it from the sod farm. The ficus tree and the other ground plants are growing like mad already so I know they're doing fine. Thanks for the compliments, this was my first building project and I'm really glad it turned out so well.

[​IMG]

25. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

Wow is all I can say - that is beautiful! After I get my loft bed, I'm going to be redesigning 2 new cages - one for my water dragon and 1 for my iguana. I'm definitively going to keep your design in mind.