chinese (green) water dragons

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by susyq, May 13, 2005.

1. susyq

susyq Member

can someone please point me in the direction of a good care sheet for these beautiful lizards that contains basking temps and humidity levels. i know the basic temp ranges cage sizes etc and im not new to keeping reptiles, but i just want to make sure i can get it right before purchasing 1 as i pride myself on being a respectable reptile keeper. cheers :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Tricia's site is great, really good info. Can't remember the address though - it's icomm.ca something like that. The other one I used was Melissa Kaplan - anapsid.org?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nomad85

nomad85 Member

I'd recomend an Australian Water Dragon, they are captive bred and more hardy than the asian(green) water dragons which are almost all w/c, I dont know of anyone who breeds them. www.agamainternational.com is a great place. If you know what you are doing this is a good site about green water dragons http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/ . Good luck.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Basic care sheet.... How basic? Tank size 55 Gallon or larger. Half water half land.. Water Dragons love to dive into water. As far as a substrate, Orchid Bark, Bed-a beast, Repti-bark, sand soil mix, etc. All of these will work fine. Lighting...100 heat bulb will do for anything over 30 gallons. Temp. between 80-85 during the day. 70-75 at night. Make sure your light cycles are around 12-14 hours of light each day.

Mike Spears is an expert on these beautiful herps, he also breeds them, you can find some of his stuff and info at Sapphire Dragon Ranch...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

3lx3wx5h' is good. I use sod for substrate (fescue) temp 74-78 nite and 76-86 day (I don't recommend 70 at all). Normal light cycles of 12 with uv & sun lamps and 12 red heat lamp at night. I don't know that much about australian water dragons but they are not as beautiful in my opinion as green and I have had good luck with my chinese water dragon he is a blast. They also like perching branches/logs that go over their water so they can bask and dive into the water. Think of their living quarters as a rain forest.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

There are a good deal of CB CWD's out there now. My first dragon never cared for diving in his water from branches, he likes to just wade in and sit with just his head visible.
    I just got 3 baby CB's over the course of a month that are all housed together and doing fine so far. No dominating or fighting within the group so far LOL

12. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

With all those babies you have I would care to bet you will get some diving activitiy ;o) Good luck with your new group--you are lucky to have three.

13. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

I would agree with hrotroff... Diving from branches is a natural instinct. When I got all mine, I think all of them dove off of branches....My Basalisks dive more than my CWD's but thats besides the point. When I posted that basic care sheet up there, I said to find some stuff by Mike Spears.... If you havent done that do it... He is like the king of Dragons..... He might be more help or at least point you in the right direction.....

14. Missy169

Missy169 Member

lmao I was about to make a thread about water dragons because Im looking to get one in the future I think they are soooo cute!

15. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

They really are sweet personality-wise. I have genuinely found my life's hobby and love right now with my green cw dragon. They are so calming and enjoyable. I wish we had a regular forum/string for them, too.

16. DezzyR

DezzyR Embryo

I have 3 water dragons and I just recently lost one that I have had for many years, one site that helped me out a lot is www.icomm.ca/enclosur.htm it has a lot of good information, you should also look into some book. Read as much on them as you can and DO NOT use heating rocks. Make sure there is always a large amount of water for them, also filling your bath with warm (like for a baby not hot but not ice) not to deep make sure there is a part that is not higher then their sholders in case it doesnt want to swim, put it in the bath for a few mins every once in a while will give it my room to swim and soak.

17. WaTeRdRaGoN

WaTeRdRaGoN Embryo

i want ot now if u can put a crested wit a green water dragon

18. Lzrd_Grl

Lzrd_Grl Embryo

Water Dragons are AWESOME!!! I have a website of my own that i made a really good care sheet on
    [link removed] I have bred these guys before and i have 4 happy little guys. I have seperated one of them though who was bullied and if i hadn't found him he would've been dead i think. he was greatly starved, but now he is doing great!!!! I also have the mom and dad.

I have a 4x4x2 (lxhxd), but i'm hopefully gonna build a (6x5x3) (hxdxl) soon.

lzrd_grl

19. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

If this is what you're asking:

No, I don't suggest you do that as it can create too many problems.