chinese water dragon live with an australian water dragon?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cyril_Bianco, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Cyril_Bianco

Cyril_Bianco Embryo

Hello everybody,

I would like to know if a MALE chinese water dragon can live with a FEMALE australian water dragon ( or reverse, I meen provided they don't have the same sex)?

Anybody have heard of someone trying the experience and the result?

Thanks in advance,

Cyril.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

RE: chinese water dragon live with an australian water drago

I wouldnt try it you should never mix different species in the same cage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cyril_Bianco

Cyril_Bianco Embryo

cyril

ok, Thanks for the reply MikeDro

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cyril_Bianco

Cyril_Bianco Embryo

Cyril

Hi everybody :wink:

First of all, I precise that I am definitively not an expert.
    But I am surprised by the answer: the two varieties of physignatus, although seperated by thousands of miles,have very similar habitat in there natural environment.
    Form what I have read about the australian water dragon, the setups in captivity are very close to those of chine water dragon:
    temperature: hot spot 35°C cold spot 24/28)c,
    General heat 28°C, humidity 70/80%.
    However I precise that I am french where the australian water dragon is not well Known and rare in terra.

And above all I have read different times that the australian water dragon is less sensible to the set ups than the chinese water dragon and can live well with set ups that don't fit exactly there requirements ( contrary to the chinese one )

Considering the organisation of the terra, as they both live in wild life on trees very close to water, it is as well very similar: very large water box, a lot of trees, green plant.

To finish, they both live in social small groups
    with a dominant male, several females and young not sexed already.

If both specimens are raised together, with of course a male and a femelle to avoid territorial conflict, Why shouldn't they live together in a very large terra?

I am not the expert, and thus don't critizise the answer, but if you could answer to my comment, I would be very glad because it is abslutly possible that the set up I have read are wrong.

if it is the case, could you indicate me the proper one because I consider acquire an australian water dragon.

To finish, this momment is definitivly not a criticism

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Cyril

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

Hello, hm, the best advice I could give you is to be careful. There is no guarantee that even a male and female will get along, I have 2 iguanas - 1 male and 1 female and they don't always get along. Most people would say not to mix them together, but I think, if you had the proper space it could be possible. I'm no expert, but I'd assume, if you made sure they both had all the requirements they needed and each had separate places to bask, eat and be alone if neccessary, things could work out. I'd keep an eye on them too, just in case something happened as well as a separate place to put one of them should something happen. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck.