choosing my next snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by BooBah, May 7, 2009.

1. BooBah

BooBah New Member

Im going to be getting another snake whithin the next 3 months and im not sure what im gonna get.I dont really wanna spend to much max.150-200 and im thinking i want a retic cuz i want a large snake but i also want a red tail boa.Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best large snake would be good for a pet cuz i never really had a big snake but ive been around plenty, ive only had ball pythons and cornsnakes but i have a bit of experience with lizards(tegus,iguanas,etc)Can someone recomend anything?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I would not recommend a large retic or similar as a first larger snake.
    A fully grown retic will need 4 people to handle it. Then there's the space need for a large cage, plus the heating and food bills.
    The smaller boa type are good, up to 9ft long, even this length is a powerful snake.
    Carpet python's get to around 7-8ft but can be a bit tempermental.
    Children's and Blood pythons get chunky, again Bloods can be a bit iffy at times.
    I'm sure other will suggest a few.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

a rectic or other large python is going to cost quite a bit for the snake alone, much less the things you will need to care for one. im not sure how much carpet or blood pythons are but i hear they are pretty decent snakes. ive never had any expirience with them though

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Yeah, if you're not willing to spend a lot of money on a snake, I really wouldn't reccommend a large snake. A full-grown retic's enclosure alone (not to mention heating for such a large cate) would be around $1,000. RTBs are good pets, but again, a full grown boa is going to need a massive enclosure that's going to cost well over $500.

With your budget, I'd suggest a cali king or a KSB. Small snakes, but larger snakes are going to be a lot more expensive.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

between those two, RTB are the best to go on for a large snakes, better to pick males as males grow smaller. but a question? 150 - 200 for the snakes only or snakes + enclosure?
    you'll never get any large snakes + setup with that kind of that money.. i suppose. get smaller snakes first, maybe a good viper boa, though goes ma too 3 feet, they're though, and also thick, it's better tha BP's really. but i don't know their price in your country and i think it's kinda rare?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

For a first time lrge snake, go with a red tail boa (Boa constrictor imperator). they are useally very mild manored and feed well. I have several and they are just great to have. But you willhave to make a custom cage that can cost a bit of $. if you are wise and know what you are doing you can bulid a large cage for reasonable.
    I bulit one that was 4x4x8 feet out of ply wood, 1x2s and glass, fully lighted and heat pads, timer and thermostats. final price was less than $200