Cleaning Cage!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by roxmysox99, Oct 27, 2005.

1. roxmysox99

roxmysox99 New Member

Well i left my 20 gallon long tank outside in the rain for about 3 months. The whole tank and eveything in it is covered in ALGEE!! What should i mix (bleach with water at what percentage) to clean out my tank and the stuff in it??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

1 to 10 ratio bleach to water... bu judging by your description you might need to up it a little bit. if so then you must let it air dry longer

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Bleach doesn't actually clean all that grime off. You show wash it out first. Give it a good scrubbing, then use the bleach. Rinse very well afterwards. I just had to do the same thing with my 40gal a couple months ago.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Like Ash19 said, for the cleaning part just use dish soap and a good scrubber sponge. Then once it's clean, you disinfect it with the bleach solution.
    It sounds like in your case you should be using a putty knife instead of a sponge, though. :lol:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Use vingar, it cleans as good as bleach without the harmful fumes. Always use hot water, soap and a cup of vinegar when cleaning. You can always use a little bleach to but not much. Thats what I do, just a thought. later

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

What is you use an antibacterial dish soap? Would you still need to use the bleach? That would seem kinda redundant.

12. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

dish soap isn't as strong. With bleach, you know you've killed everything. Dish soap has to be gentle enough that it doesn't irritate your skin, and only needs to really kill minor amounts of bacteria.
    Plus, those soaps are really doing more harm than good. Since they aren't killing 100% of the bacteria, you start to get resistant strains. This is actually becoming a gigantic problem for hospitals right now.