Columbian Tegu with Dry, Cracked Tip of Tail

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Embedded, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Embedded

Embedded Embryo

I have a Columbian Tegu (Joshua) who is about 7-8 months old and 20-24" in length (tip of tail to nose). The tip of his tail is pretty dry looking and cracked. I have even seen it bleed a small amount when he gets fiesty and lashes his tail into his cage or log (not sharp objects by any means).

Is this normal, I don't imagine that it is. If it is not, what can I do to help it heal and remain healthy?

Thank you for the help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. renee

renee Embryo

Tegu's Tail.

I know my veiled isn't quite the same but... I went through the same thing with my veiled cham. Apparently he hadn't fully shed the tip of his tail and it was virtually splitting off. I took his to the vet and this is how the vet explained it to me..." like an elastic band the unshed skin acts like a tourniquet. Adventually it cuts off the blood supply and eventually the tip of the tail will fall off. To the animal it hurts and is annoying. The first thing to do is soak it three or four times a day in warm water and try to get all the dead skin off. Next apply polysporin or a lubriderm lotion (something with out perfumes or any additives and it should be an ointment-the green label polysporin works the best!) You should be applying this three to four times a day. It worked aside from a scab and a slight scar, my veiled survived with a intack tail. I hope this helps. I know what it is like to worry about something you don't understand! Good luck!