Comment on US proposal to ban Boas/Pythons

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Auballagh, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Auballagh

Auballagh Embryo

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife service has made a request for public input to this proposal, and I feel it will be very important that all reptile keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make a written response before 30 April, 2008. Interestingly enough, this nasty little proposal was submitted due to a petition filed by the state of Florida, South Florida Water Management District, requesting that Burmese Pythons be considered for inclusion in the injurious wildlife regulations...... because of concern about the number of Burmese pythons found in Florida, particularly in Everglades National Park.
    The online U.S. Fish and Wildlife portal to view the proposal document is shown here:

http://www.fws.gov/policy/frsystem/title.c...sed&date=08

This is proposal RIN 1018-AV68. The actual document of this proposed ruling is listed here,

http://www.fws.gov/policy/library/E8-1770.pdf

Yep, so here's how to make a REAL difference, with a REAL comment on this situation. To submit a comment online go to this site:

http://www.regulations.gov

I typed in 'python', using the search feature provided on that page, and it took me right to the document.

- To submit a letter via U.S Mail:

Public Comments Processing, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services, Attn: RIN 1018-AV68, Division of Policy and Directives Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 222, Arlington, VA 22203

As shown in the PDF document, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will not accept anonymous comments to this proposal. You must list your first and last name, City, State and country with Zip Code.
    -
    I submitted my online comment to this proposal, as follows:

This legislation is like driving in a thumb tack in with a sledge hammer! For one, this issue is a Florida State matter, specifically affecting the Everglades National Park. Enacting federal legislation to effectively ban the transport of any Boa or Python across any and all state lines would effectively kill a growing, national hobby that generates a lot of commerce and sales revenue throughout the nation each year.
    - If this proposal is enacted, all captive breeders of ANY python or boa snake species specifically breeding these animals to service and sell in the pet industry, will be effectively out of business. For many breeders, the sale of these reptiles effectively contributes towards a substantial portion of their annual wage and living income.
    - This proposal takes no consideration to the fact that the tropical python and boa species it has targeted, cannot live on a year round basis anywhere else in the U.S.A., except for south Florida with it's tropical climate. Therefore, preventing a snake breeder located in Virginia from sending a purchased, captive bred python or boa to a buyer in Minnesota for example, would make absolutely no sense!
    - The problem of Burmese pythons being found in the Everglades National Park, is a State of Florida problem. All laws, rules and regulations governing the keeping, sale and possible transport of any reptile into or out of the State of Florida should originate - and remain - within the State of Florida.
    =====================================================================
    C'mon peeps, let's get busy and do something to save our hobby! I believe that everyone who makes a REAL comment to this Boa/python banning proposal should post up a response to this topic, stating that they have submitted an official comment to the U.S. government. Let's see whose voices have officially been heard! We can do it, let's get busy on this!!!