Common boa refuses to eat

Discussion in 'Boas' started by rosalita, Mar 3, 2010.

1. rosalita

rosalita Embryo

For six months, she has refused offers of exactly the same food she has been eating for years, in exactly the same process, with temperature unchanged. She is losing weight, skin is in folds, otherwise she looks healthy, active and bright.
    I offer her lovely rats, and she ignores them entirely. She exhibits I'm hungry behavior, but what rat? I don't see a rat. $50 worth of rats into landfill.
    What should I do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GeckoKing57

GeckoKing57 Embryo

How big is she? Have you moved her enclosure, moved her into a different room? Anything out of the normal that she may not be used to?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pythonguy88

pythonguy88 Embryo

first off, how old is the snake? Like they said have you changed anything new in its environment? Added a new substrate?, new bulbs?, New type of mice/rats. Some snakes will stop eating if you switch brands. They smell different or taste different. Are their any health signs showing, discharge, elevated head, etc. The skin folds can be a result of pre-ecdysis (shedding), or dehydration. Try to soak your snake in luke warm water. Snakes absorb water subcutaneously rather well. Has a bowl movement, been past constipation may be a concern? I would love to work with you please email me and we can try to solve this, but usually you will need a vet, but i at least can try to help you figure out what is wrong to correct the issue if it could be a husbandry issue.