Conservation comes first

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Herp_123, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Herp_123

Herp_123 New Member

I think that their sould be laws stateing limits to what kind of reptiles we keep in our homes (captivity). I don't believe in keeping venomous snakes, large reptiles such crocodilians, endangered species, or snakes that can eat a small child. If you truely care for reptiles then you also care for their conservation, don't forget wild reptiles are very important too. I believe that instead of authorities going after those who have illegal reptiles that take good care of them, they sould go after the countless people who don't take care of their animals. :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

If you check with your city im sure there is some kind of law dealing with reptiles. Its really two faced when you say people shouldnt be allowed to keep them. I should be able to keep mine but others shouldnt be able beacuse there big. Big really dosent bother me. People who have not had venomus animals really shouldnt have them unless you have trained with them or something to that extent. If you have the space and time and can properly care for an animal like a alligator a croc(wouldnt want them but hey some people do and can properly care for them) I have no problem with a person keeping them. I wouldnt worry about conservation that much any more. Most of the herps now are captive breed with a small amount coming from the wild. I believe that it is illegal to own an endangered species unless you are a zoo or approved to have them. Im not sure on that but thats what I think I heard about es.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Herp_123

Herp_123 New Member

Would'nt worry about conservation, with the amount of rainforest that are being slashed and burned each year, yes anyone who cares for wildlife should be concerned about it. I put the needs of the animals first, not the needs of me wanting to have a exotic wild animal. I know for a fact that the best place for my Iguana would be in the Amazon, living as an Iguana has evolved to live. These animals did'nt evolve to live in cages or to live in a human home, but they do, because of us. I rescued my Iguana from horrible owners, I am taking care of him, only because no one else would. Do I wish he was running around the Amazon, yes. I don't dout that there are good reptile owners out there, but there are many people who don't care for their animals. I like seeing animals in the wild, thats really my whole point. Sorry, if I affended anyone.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

Do you own any other pets. Dogs cats etc. Then should we be able to own them as well. I understand where your coming from but most animals now are not takin from the wild but are captive born. I would have a problem with keep es but not with others. Say with a dog. They were originally from the wild and we took them into our homes as pets. Why is it ok to own them but not herps. Is it because we have done this for thousands of years and has been etched into our minds that it is morally ok to keep them. Then why cant we keep herps. Because we havnt been able to keep them in captivity for thousands of years and now are able to. Just because there are a few bad apples does not mean that responsible owners should not be able to keep them. I dont understand why it is ok to keep dogs and cats but not reptiles. That blows my mind.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

maybe having kids should also be banned without an extensive training period?does not "PETA" state that animals in cages should not be?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Herp_123

Herp_123 New Member

I have a cat and a dog. You can't compare a reptile and a mammal, their two diffrent kinds of animal. Humans have had dogs beside them for well over 50,000 years, we created the domestcated dog, without us the dog would not be here today. I got my Iguana not because I wanted an exotic animal to show off, I did'nt need him nor did I want him. It was because he needed me, and now he is healthy. Most, not all, probably get a reptile to show them off, not to learn something from them, or teach others about them. When ever my Iguana becomes more tame, he will go with me to Elementry schools etc., and I will use him to educate others.

12. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

Just because there different types of animal dosnt mean I cant compare them. You are talking about not keeping large reptiles because why. The only difference between big and small reptiles is well there size and housing requirements. Why dont you believe that we should be able to house crocidilians and large snakes. I understand the endagnered species. Its your opinion and your entiteld to it. Im just stating my opinion on the subject as well. To me I dont have a problem. The only problem I have with keeping them is that some people who own them shouldnt because they dont properly take care of the animal.

13. bratspets

bratspets Member

Animals taken from the wild should remain in the wild, if possible/feasible.
    Animals bred, born and raised in captivity should not be released or abandoned to the wild, generally speaking.
    There are exceptions, of course.

I think regulations for owning exotics (mammals/reps/birds) and wildlife is important because we people have hurt the environment with our ignorance, but also sometimes with our "love" and curiosity of our animal neighbors. We want to study and enjoy them but the fact is we don't know what the heck we are doing...at least at first. And, so many people (and their kids) just keep wild or exotic pets as "things" or "toys". Dogs and cats also suffer from ignorance and neglect...it is not limited to any family of animals, really. Our so-called "love" may be selfishness in disguise. Each of us reckons with our own motives for keeping critters.

The regulations and control man has put on the animal kingdom has not always been wise (like eliminating wolves and cougars which led to over population of deer) but the rules are necessary, and need to be revised frequently. Authorities do go after neglect/cruelty cases, but there is not enough manpower to do it all, and without a formal complaint they cannot just go raid homes of people that don't provide the right cage and lighting for their pet lizard. The balance is a difficult one. Mother Nature managed, but nature's kids have messed it up.

It takes people like you to hash out all the angles to make the best laws.

14. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

I agree. I really can't right much about the situation though, sorry. But you have spoken very well.

15. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

I do care about conservation, but owning a reptile isn't really conservation, unless you breed and release.

16. bratspets

bratspets Member

Owning rescued reptiles has little to do with conservation and everything to do with being a foster home. Releasing animals into the wild (legally) requires a permit in many states. Otherwise it is known as abandonment.
    Releasing captive pets can be a death sentence for the animal released, and/or introduce disease into the wild population and become a death sentence for them.

We can all do our part in conservation. We are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Recycle, reuse, etc, conserve water, pick up your trash, leave only footprints, take only pictures. And write your congressman at least once a year. :wink:

17. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

Many states have laws on what kind of ANIMALS we can have. Not just reptiles. In NY there is a handful of banned reptiles... banned for good reasons too!

And I believe in january California passed RU46 (i think that was the bill number) that bans the owning of pit breeds of dog, because humans can be dumb.

::thinks::

"Humans have had dogs beside them for well over 50,000 years"

read the article http://www.asylumnation.com/asylum/_r/show...1553/index.html and learn just how long man and dog have been together.

And my 2cents:

PeTA kills more animals in a day than they save in a month.

18. Mr__Burns

Mr__Burns Embryo

The problem is that too many people think if an animal is dangerous then its cool to have one, no matter the responsibility. Being in the field of conservation myself, and a former zookeeper of 6 years I think people have absolutely no right to own animals such as venemous reptiles, large reptiles such as alligators, big cats, primates, and bears. Their sole attraction is because they are dangerous. I'm qualified to care for just about any wild dangerous animal such as a large herp, primate, canid, big cat, bear etc..., but I would never buy one as a pet because I have no business owning one. My work with them is soley for the purpose of conservation.

It is legal to own some endangered species, but they are not individuals of interest because they are not genetically pure. Such as a cross between a bengal and a siberian tiger. Its endangered, but no zoo would want it because of its genetics. I've talked to countless people who owned big cats and they think their doing a service because the species is endangered, but they have no idea about the info I posted in the first three sentences of this paragraph.

Luckily people can't just release something like a big cat when they realize what a freken idiot they were for getting one. But look at the everglades right now. Thats the place to go if your into invasive species. People releasing herps like a burmese after it gets too big. Totally screwing up the ecosystem down there.

Now I'm not saying all herps should be outlawed. But their are quite a few that should be, just like some mammals and birds.

19. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

so sad to condem a whole breed(pits) for the less than honourable behavior of a few owners

20. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

I agree with you but i think if the species has been captive bred then it is ok to keep it. If i set up a herp shop in the future i may buy WCs to breed to increase the population but i would not sell them to the public

21. Pom_Pom_King

Pom_Pom_King New Member

What about the people who make a living milking venimous reptiles. The venom for antivenom doesnt come from labs, it's private owners who sell it to the labs. and it takes a lot of venom to make just a little antivenom.

22. Mr__Burns

Mr__Burns Embryo

Incidents with venemous reptiles are less publicized, but claiming a "few owners" is really stretching it when it comes to animals like them.

23. Mr__Burns

Mr__Burns Embryo

How does them being captive bred make things any different? Yea they are not taken from the wild, which no captive pet should never be anyway. But It hasn't made them domesticated in anyway. Their behavior hasn't changed nor has the danger they pose.

24. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Pom Pom King,

The people who milk for the venom obviously are very experienced and need to have a lisence in the first place.