Convince me!!!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Jocelyn, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Jocelyn

Jocelyn New Member

So here's the scoop.... I've been to pet stores and seen those cute little anoles running around, and have always thought that they were pretty cool. Now, I am thinking about getting one, and I was just wondering about the pros and cons of having an anole.
    I have a bearded dragon already, and I love her. I like the fact that she is very personable, and she likes to be handled. Basically what I want to know is..
    1) What is the size range for these guys? I know there is more than one kind, and I was wondering if there was a type that got to about a foot or so.
    2) Do they like to be handled? Are they active?
    3) Could I keep more than one in the same enclosure?

Geckos are cute, but a bit boring... I really want a Uro but don't have the money... Is an alnole a better alternative for me?
    Thanks guys!!!

-Jocelyn :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

Green and brown anoles can get about 6 inches. Knight or Cuban anoles can get about 17 inches.
    They are very active in their cage. Most anoles do not like being handled at all. It is very stressful to them.
    Yes, you could keep two in the same enclosure as long as they were only females. I would only keep two or three in the same cage tops. It is harder to keep more than one in the same cage than to keep one in a cage. Bullying may go on which could lead to one not eating. I would keep one per every enclosure, because it is much more easier to do.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. padkison

padkison Embryo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tokai

tokai New Member

Knight anoles are not friendly they dont like being toched and they bite hard, the green ones are small they also dont like to be touched like lizardman said but they are active and make a room look nice, they only way you can keep multiples is in small tanks so they cant establish territory

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Jocelyn

Jocelyn New Member

ok, thanks guys :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

well green anoles seem to like to be handles; they turn green! :-D so, i do it often; she loves it by the windowsill though; they get around 5-8 inches 6 max if a female.

12. GTSC5R

GTSC5R New Member

They may turn green, but they are still getting stressed. Green color does not always mean happy.

13. beardiefreak

beardiefreak Member

they turn green from the heat of your hand

14. jagjm

jagjm New Member

I know for a fact that Green anoles don't like to be handled they get really stressed out and can even drop their tails if you try and hold onto them for too long.

15. GTSC5R

GTSC5R New Member

Truth is they turn green when they feel like it for any reason that suits them. Not from the heat.

16. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

He turns green even when I don't hold him when he is out of his cage. I'm sure MOST green anoles don't like to be handled, but mine has been handled since he was a baby, so he's used to it.

17. Pom_Pom_King

Pom_Pom_King New Member

Truth be told no reptile likes to be held, but some tolerate it more than others. As long as it's eating and seems health it's ok to handle them.

18. pigger93

pigger93 Member

dont hanle it!!!! :evil:

19. anole_lover13

anole_lover13 Embryo

try a greeen anole but get it as a baby. dont handle it!!!!!!!! feed it every week about 4-6 crikets depending on size, mist their cage every day, dont use tthat crappy anole multi coulered food that smelled like ur dog chewed it up allready, if u can c their rib line buy some Reptocal from tetrafauna (it has a green anole with his dewlap showing (i didnt spell it rite srry) this powered nutritonal supplement withcalcum and D3 to sprinkle on thier live food so its a sniky way to make them healthy!!! for more advice let me know ive had 2 green anolets together for about a year ( an avarage life span is 2 years)

20. Dominique

Dominique Embryo

In my mind there are no cons to purchasing an Anole. They are entertaining to what and fun [and easy] to care for!!! Green Anoles are best for all beginners...such as myself. I'm still new to this reptile world. Don't ever handle an Anole CONSTANTLY...but I believe it's okay to pet them from time to time to keep them from becoming TOO agressive, you know? I usually don't totally pick them up unless the cage is being cleaned, though....okay, I admit it. Charlotte DOES like being held OCCASSIONALLY and you and agrue with me all you want on this, but: she really DOES enjoy it!

21. fabolusus

fabolusus Embryo

You should NEVER handle an anole! They are a "look but don't touch" pet. Just because they're cheap doesn't necessarily mean that they are easy to care for. On the contrary, they are NOT EASY TO CARE FOR!!!!!

22. Bioherper

Bioherper Embryo

Stroking their back would be the only handling you could really do and it should be done lightly, when i was like 6 i had one and i had a heat rock for it, it spent alot of the day on it and in the basking light, i dont know if a heat rock is recomended but my anole freakin' loved it

23. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

The problem with heat rocks is they can develop hot spots and burn your animal.

I don't know about the rest of you but our anole hates human contact. Anytime we come near the cage it gives us this suspicious look, turns its head to the side and just stares you down. We tryed to take him out to clean his cage and as soon as I got him on my arm he jumped off and I had to chase him around the room for 5 minutes until I finally just grabbed him, I was trying not to be too rough. I can't think that he enjoyed that at all.

24. fabolusus

fabolusus Embryo

The best way to remove an anole is to take a small tank (like a Faunarium), set it up with some substrate and branches for climbing. Put some of your anoles favorite treats in (mine love phoenix worms). Instead of chasing your anole around the tank, try to shoo him into your smaller tank. Once he discovers the treats, he will be more preoccupied with eating rather than being completely stressed out.

25. TodayInsect

TodayInsect Embryo

This is a reply for the message posted in this thread by Dominique, for the person who doesn't know if they should get one, and for anyone else who thinks properly caring for a Green Anole is easy. (or ANY anole for that matter)

Anoles are NOT "easy" to care for and no lizard is a "beginners" lizard. Taking proper care of any reptile involves a vast knowledge of the species, a lot of money, and a lot of time. People have this misconception that the anole is the super-easy-wonder-pet of the lizard world because they are small and cheap. They are cheap because they can be caught wild in mass quantities in the United States, unlike most other species that require breeder fees and usually out of the country shipping charges. Sure, the people from the pet stores tell you they are easy (Duh....they want your money) Just take it home and pop it in a aquarium?!?!!

If you do some math, anoles need at LEAST 10 gallons per lizard (and that's still too small) so that's about 20.00, screen cover 10.00, heat lamp and dome 15.00, a UVB light and fixture 20.00, low watt black night light and dome 15.00, substrate for a year 25.00, crickets for a year 25.00, cricket cage 15.00, cricket food/gutload 5.00, cricket thirst-quencher 5.00, anole food for a year 10.00, other insects 15.00, Calcium dust 10.00, plants and furniture 25.00, humidity gauge 5.00, digital thermometer 5.00, drip system 10.00, cleaning supplies-medications-Misc. 25.00, annual vet visit 40.00.

That's about 300.00 for just the "must-haves" per anole per year for a person just starting out with nothing.
    And depending on where you live....many of those prices are UNDER estimated.

Plus daily feeding, daily cleaning, multiple daily cage misting and never-ending research. You must make sure the temps are always right, the humidity levels are always right, your light on and off times are always on schedule, your lizard isn't stressed and is mentally stimulated, getting the proper nutrition, eating right and is not dehydrated. Doesn't sound so easy....does it?

As for handling Green Anoles, no....it's not usually a good idea. They are too small and fragile and too prone to stress.

And for the person who said no lizard likes to be handled, that is not true either. Larger lizards like the Bearded Dragon, Green Iguana and Collared Lizard can be quite friendly and fond of being part of the family. They enjoy sitting with you and petting. I've even had a lizard who was quite fond of the dog.