Convinced mom into getting a big lizard.

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Ryeshu, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I dont understand that either. if they dont like people why do you want something that is just going to hate you?...How big do Salvator monitors get?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i havent been bitten that bad, but when my sav was 2ft long he bit me and it drew a lot of blood. the weird thing was, i couldnt see any holes except for maybe 3 small ones. i felt it starting to get infected, because it stung burned and tingled all at the same time. i was stupid though and left it and thought nothing of it. the next day my finger was swollen and i cut it open and had to let it drain out. i still have a scar on my finger ill take a pic and post it later on.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

definatly out of the question. you do not have enough experience to handle an 8 or 10ft monitor.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Oh sorry. Just saw a pick it looked kinda small guess it was a baby

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

lol... how about a crocadile moniter! ;)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

^
    | hahaha

12. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Well i guess i dont want something that can eat me ;)

13. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

A mangrove monitor looks cute. It says it stays kinda small but it also says they like to swim. Does that mean they need a big sorce of water in their enclouser?

14. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Mangrove Monitors, Varanus indicus, can grow rather large and there are confirmed cases of animals growing up to 5 feet total length. This seems to be the exception rather than the rule though. In most cases Mangrove monitors will reach lengths of 3.5-4.5 feet. Hatchlings are reported to emerge from the egg at 9-10 inches TL. If fed well these monitors will grow rapidly. Mangrove monitors are well known for their skittish behavior. Many of the WC (Wild Caught) juveniles that come into the pet trade will be nervous and shy at first.
    it's also an accomplished climber and will like a few sturdy branches in the enclosure. These branches should be securely fastened to the insides of the tank and be thick enough to support the weight of the monitor . Mangrove monitors are excellent swimmers and will definitly enjoy long soaks in a large water bowl. If you can provide a container that is large enough for the monitor to curl its tail around and submerge itself completly you will probably find that the monitor will spend a lot of time there. With all the splashing of water that can take place it is important that the keeper monitors the substrate so that it does not become overly wet which can result in the formation of mold. I find that by using a tall Rubbermaid tub and filling it only half or three quarters of the way full will prevent excessive spilling.
    they come from an area of the world that has hot humid temperatures for most of the yearThey'll bask at high temperatures and a basking spot with a surface temperature around 120°F will be used often. Watch out cuz themal burns may occur. The rest of the enclosure should have an ambient temperture gradient of 80-90°F. It is important to avoid a uniformly hot tank because this will put stress on the animal and it will not be able to thermoregulate properly

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ryzard hit it pretty much perfect right there, but they do require a lot of water to soak and swim in

16. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Ah, i see. I don't know about that..Im still gonna concider everything before getting a monitor.