Cope's Gray Tree Frog

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Fae, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Fae

Fae New Member

StikyPaws312, Louie and lizardgurl87 like this.
  2. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Cute! Where'd you get him? I have a Gray that I'm pretty sure is a Cope's, but there are two variations-he looks some like mine, though mine is light gray and real nice turtle too! :p

3. Fae

Fae New Member

I rescued them from a swimming pool. The only way you can tell if your frog is a Cope's is it's call. If it is a female it won't call at all. But males will call and you can try a simple test to see which variation your frog is. If your frog is a Cope's and a male it may respond to this clip. http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/sounds/hylchr.mp3 If you can play it near his enclosure. It may take a few tries. If it is a common gray tree frog and a male. It may respond to this clip http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/anurans/Hylchrver/Common Gray Treefrog.mp3

Louie and lizardgurl87 like this.
  4. Badger711

Badger711 Member

She explained it perfectly ^ Though I've seen most Copes' tend to be a bit darker than Common Gray Tree Frogs.

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I'm pretty sure mine's common then-a much lighter gray too, but for sure a female, so she won't call. I was aware you can tell by the call, but also sometimes the patterns/markings/colorations and such-though not as reliable. I also found mine outside recently-I haven't heard of or seen them much for sale and most people I know with them have caught them-even if you did buy them, they'd most likely be wild caught.
    [​IMG]
    ^Here she is

6. Louie

Louie Member

Vert nice and love the plants.

7. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

Both frogs look great! how big do they get?

8. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Bout three inches STV for females

9. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

there so cool! the frogs look like granite!

lizardgurl87 likes this.