Corn shed

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by tomtom, Feb 22, 2009.

1. tomtom

tomtom New Member

Hi, my 2 year old red albino started shedding today and it didnt come off in one piece. All her other sheds came in one whole piece, so I was just wondering if its bad if it doesnt all come off in one piece. I am wondering if humidty has anything to do with it? any suggestions are appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

It is a humidity thing, but not necessarily your fault. I have 2 BPs and both have had all good sheds until the beginning of this winter. Nothing changed environmentally, but those sheds were in pieces. My male has since shed again, in one nice piece. As long as your humidity reads good, I would not recommend changing anything, unless the next shed is in pieces too. Then you can figure the humidity is actually too low.

To clean up your snake now, I'd recommend a bath of warm water, deep enough to cover 1/2 - 3/4 of her body width. When you take her out let her run through a towel a few times, and the loose skin should mostly come off right then. The rest should come off in the tank over time, or multiple baths over a few days. As long as her eye caps came off, the rest is not that big a deal. Make sure there is no old skin pinching her tail either - you don't want her to lose the tip from cutting off the circulation. I've also used my fingers to help rub harder spots off. I am not sure that is the best way, but it worked, and didn't seem to trouble the snake any.

Good luck.

Jeff

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

yea agreed its a humidity issue. As stated above just make sure that there is no sin in the eyes or tail. A luke wamr bath my be needed if the skin is being difficult to remove.

corn snake useally not require very hight himidity, I find that tossing is a wet wadded up towl in the cage durning ashedding can provide a place to rub against and get the humidty up a tad.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tomtom

tomtom New Member

thanks guys, she shed it all off, it wasnt a problem to get it all off really, she did it all on her own. I will try to raise the humidity a bit, see if that helps for next time.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's good to hear, glad she's OK.
    Couple of suggestions
    Soak hand towel in warm water, squeeze out the excess then put snake in a pillowcase along with towel at warm end of tank for a couple of hrs, found this works well.
    Or put a large bowlof water in tank, big enough for snake to coil up in and leave it at warmest part of tank, this will also raise the humidity if needed.
    Both these have worked very well for me.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Yea the towl in the pillow case is a good trick to know. especialy because your snake it really close to being able to have full shed. It sounds to me like you just need a few % more in humidity and you will be good to go.