Corn snake escaped

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Pfafman, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Pfafman

Pfafman Embryo

Long storry ... I'l try to keep it short.
    Finally talked my wife into letting my son get a Corn Snake.
    He got a baby albino (snow or cotton candy) I'm not sure it was 10 to 12 inches long. He named it Rhino.
    We had him for two months everything was great. Snake ate twice a week. Shed a couple of times...
    My wife was happy as long as she was not in the same room with the snake.
    One day my son look for the snake and he was gone.
    I have no idea how it got out. We tore the house apart looking for it.
    We made a bunch of snake traps and loaded them with pinkies.
    After a month we we assumed one of our dogs must have found/ate the poor fellow or he was dried up and dead somewhere.
    Much to my amazement my wife was at petco and she called and asked it we should get our son a new snake.
    She got them to give her an albino for the same price as a normal corn.
    My son named new snake named Drago.
    He was bigger than Rhino when he disapeared.
    After a month and a half I went to the restroom late at night as I was finishing up I caught a bit of movement by the baseboard.
    There was Rhino the lost snake no worse for the where fat and happy 16-18 inches long. Much bigger than when he escaped.
    We put the snakes together and they get along fine.
    Both of them ate pinkies tonight (Rhino's was twice the size of Drago's though)
    So we now have two albino corn snake... How do you sex them?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. REPTAREXPERT

REPTAREXPERT Embryo

you probibly already know this but incase u dont here it goes: Do not feed them together n the same vivarium this can lead to the rare occasion of cannibalism because of the scent the mouse leaves on the snake after constriction.....

if you are going to keep them together after feeding leave one in the viv and put one in a box to feed and leave them for half an hour, after feeding, before you put them back in together....

very glad you found your snake though.... i had a corn that went missing in my bedroom for 6 months.... i searched every where and i found it last weel lol

Best Regards Shaun

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pfafman

Pfafman Embryo

Do not feed them together n the same vivarium this can lead to the rare occasion of cannibalism because of the scent the mouse leaves on the snake after constriction.....

if you are going to keep them together after feeding leave one in the viv and put one in a box to feed and leave them for half an hour, after feeding, before you put them back in together....

very glad you found your snake though.... i had a corn that went missing in my bedroom for 6 months.... i searched every where and i found it last weel lol

Best Regards Shaun
    [/quote]

Thanks... still can't believe we found him. Never thought about cannibalism but I was worried that they would not get along. We still use the little tub they came home in for a feeding room so they eat seprately and don't eat in the viv. They are 16 1nd 18 inches long so that will work for a little while longer. They eat frozen pinkies that have been warmed, but they have not done any constricting on them. Do they only constrict live food.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Well first thing about sexing them is ONLY HAVE AN EXPERENCED vet or snake entheusest sex the snake. There are three sure (ish) way of doing this.
    1. popping, by applying a bit of pressure at the tail you can get the male hemi pines to invert, or the females scent glands.
    2. probing, using an appropriate sized metal rod slide it in to the snakes cloaca, depending on how deep in goes, you can tell if it male or female.
    3. hormone testing, the vet will take a blood sample and run the hormones and can tell is its male/female.

any of these techniques can be very harmful to the snake if not done correctly, again only get a knowlegabe person to do any of these.

Next, start investing in another tank for the other corn and get them seperated. I have personaly been whitness to several deaths of corn snakes housed together. as babies they do ok for about 1-1.5 years old, until they hit sexual maturaty. than the @#^* hit the fan.
    1. if they are both males they will fight eachother over resources, heat, hideing spots, water ect. with at best will over stress them to only one of them dieing.
    2. the larger will psyicaly over power the other killing it and possibly eating it.
    3. if you have a male and female, you will end up with eggs and a lot of snakes, plus as the female gets ready to lay eggs, with a male around she will get agressive and attack the male to get it to leave so she can nest.

in other words corn snake do not play nice together. get them seperated in the next bit or so.