corn snakes laid eggs , help.

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by drwoo, Jul 16, 2004.

1. drwoo

drwoo Embryo

im newb to this board so bare with me please.
    My son has 2 4ft corns that were both supposed to be male, one isnt.
    we know next to nothing about their reproduction and weve just found around 16 eggs in the viv, what should we do.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Well, first...Congratulations! The eggs need to be incubated. Place them in containers with vermiculite (should be able to get that at any hardware/garden supply store) but make sure you don't rotate them too much. They should be incubated between 72 and 82 degrees F and they should stay in a relatively high humidity (80-90%). This is done by dampening the vermiculite. Incubation should last about 60-70 days give or take. You can buy incubators from stores like Tractor Supply. Just the average chicken egg incubators. Or you can make one from a styrofoam cooler and a wafer thermostat/heater. I'm sure you can find instructions for incubators if you search online.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. drwoo

drwoo Embryo

thanx m8,
    i havnt seen snake eggs b4, these r like deflated rugby balls and dont have a smooth appearance at all my guess is that their infertile, wot do u think .how can i tell 4 sure
    cheers,
    Paul.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Derek

Derek Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

snake eggs are not hard. the only way to tell if they are fertile is to candle the eggs. There is a post here on the boards about candeling. Just use the search option at the top and enter candeling eggs. It's pretty easy to do.