Corn snakes - Where to buy products online?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by flipz, Aug 1, 2004.

1. flipz

flipz Embryo

Hello everyone,
    First off let me say that I just found this site 10 minutes ago and the care sheets have already been VERY helpful! So thank you to everyone who maintains this site.

I am going to be purchasing a corn snake (a Haphazard Okeetee specifically - or I hope so at least). I am a very active member on a popular fish website/message board (I'm not going to spam the name here) so I know the types of typical questions people ask about fish, and I'm going to ask them about snakes. :( Maybe this should have been in one of the general categories but I figured since I know what I want, I'd post it in the specific forum. So here it goes:

1) Can anyone recommend a good online breeder for this type of snake? I am looking for best price but also a good reputation of course.

2) Where can I purchase supplies (such as the under tank heating pad) online? Obviously I know there is petsmart and stuff, but with fish you can find stuff at reliable websites for half the price. I'm just wondering what's out there for snakes.

3) What is a good brand of under tank heating pad to purchase? Petsmart has ZooMed which starts at $10.99 and then T-Rex Cobra which starts at $30.99!

4) Is a 10 gallon too big to start a baby off at? I obviously don't know what size it would be but I hope to purchase it as a baby. And how soon before I would have to put it in a 20-30?

I think that's all of my questions for now. :) Thanks to anyone who responds for your help!!

-brent

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

tank sizes are fine. Keep in mind the price of the item may be half on online shops. But shipping most likely will make it the same or about 10 cents less. A good online breeder might be vmsherp.com or lllreptile.com Corns arent the cheapest... If this is your first snake Id reccomend a ball python. They are best for beginners and very popular.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. flipz

flipz Embryo

Thanks for the tip on the ball python, but my girlfriend is actually very experienced with most reptiles. She also worked for a vet for 3 years (and still remains very close with them) that on top of the usual dog/cat/etc, had a veterinarian that specialized in reptiles, so she has been exposed to a lot of it. She definetly knows what she is doing.

I'll check out the breeders. And as far as the items online go, for fish there is a major difference to online. You can buy filters for $70 online that are $170 in stores. But I guess since snake items aren't that expensive in the first place (not items that I would have to buy at least) then buying online really wouldn't save you much after shipping.

Thanks again herpslave!

-brent

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dpillsbury_doughboy

dpillsbury_doughboy New Member

ball pythons are picky i would recomend a corn snake they dont get big like being handled and dont get to much bulk and stay small about 3-5 feet