couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by bifford, May 15, 2005.

1. bifford

bifford New Member

a couple of questions for you all. i just got my sav. and have set up a big enclosure with all the stuff i need. plenty of room and temp grads. and so on. my only question is about basking temp. i have read posts on here and other info on the net and it varies a bit. i am running about 135 right now(digi. therm.) focused on a good sized branch that goes up toward the lights. i've read 120, i've read 150, which one is best?
    also, he is not aggresive at all but scared and i have ben letting him be for the past 24, how long would you think until he starts to come out and explore and bask and so on?

thanks for all the info.
    dan

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

anywhere from 120-150 is fine. i usually prefer 120F but 135F is good as well. savs are african monitors, and african monitors can have the tendency to be lazy. just give him some time to adjust and he will explore his new surroundings

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bifford

bifford New Member

cool

my humidity is kind of low also(50-55). i have a humidifier thing that came with my tank (water tank, aquarium pump and some hoses) but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. probably get a fogger huh? what humidity do you usually run?
    dan

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nomad85

nomad85 Member

you dont really need a humidifier, use a substrate that holds humidity well like cypress mulch spray it until it looks darker, and soak your monitor every week to keep him healthy :) Also with temps the higher the better(make sure the ambient temp doesnt get too high), give him options, a retes stack is a great way to provide a variety of temps. http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answers_What...etes_Stack.html

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bifford

bifford New Member

good idea

i'm gonna make one of those. thats a good idea. thanks.
    dan

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nomad85

nomad85 Member

glad to help :) good luck.

12. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

I agree with klik 120-150 is good.about the time thing, its all up to the savanna, dont worry hes gonna come around
    good luck