Cranky Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by bighair, May 20, 2004.

1. bighair

bighair Embryo

My 2 year old Columbian Rainbow Boa has become suddenly aggressive! I'd had him at school (I'm a teacher) and could see he was not getting enough humidity. He had stopped eating, and was extremely lethargic and dried out, no matter how much I misted him. I brought him back home, bought a humidifier and within 10 days, he'd recovered by shedding and finally excreting. As soon as he shed, he fed immediately. That was a week ago. Now, whenever I've opened his terrarium, he snaps repeatedly and takes a very aggressive stance, coiling and making an "S". What happened? I used to handle him all the time. He'd always been very gentle. Any ideas? Could the humidifier noise be making him cranky? Causing a mold? How should I proceed with him?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

He's in a new enclosure surrounded by smells and noises he's never encountered before. I think the best thing to do is to treat him like he's a new acquisition. Leave him alone, no handling, for the next couple of weeks, then see how things work out. If it's possible, don't feed him in his cage, maybe you can move him with a snake hook. He could also still be hungry if it had been a while since he had eaten. I'd try feeding him again, with tongs, and you may want to get a thick pair of leather work gloves to have on hand in case you do need to handle him in the interim. He probably just needs time and a little space to get him back into the swing of things.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Take the bite. Just kidding, we have one that age and he's gotten a lil agressive in his age (its a man thing, lol). If you fear the bite, get a hook, I like mine, especially with tree boas. Leave him alone and get the husbandry right for a few weeks. Feed him weekly in a seperate place from his cage. After that get back to a normal handling routine. He should get better.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ChicagoCubs22

ChicagoCubs22 New Member

Yes, leave him alone for a week or two, and when feeding time comes try and take him out and place him into a solitary enclosure, where he is LEFT ALONE with the rodent. This is important so he gets the instinctive response that feeding in this enclosure is safe, and there are no intruders to stress him out. I just read that some people tried placing a worn shirt or clothing item into the enclosure, so he gets use to your scent. Im new to this, i dont exactly know the results, but it seems credible to me. Wear a shirt on a sunday or something, and place it in the corner of the cage, and when he gets acclamated to his enclosure, that scent will linger and eventually pose a comfortable scent to him. Then when u handle him in 3 weeks or so, he'll identify how the scent in the cage is congruent to your scent. Heck, even wear the same shirt when handling him, you never know it could work.

If he has some weight to him, and is successfully recovered from being lethargic and dehydrated, do this:

Lower the day and night temps just a few degrees, to kinda slow down his energy system. Dont feed him in these 2 weeks so he gets acclamated to the cage. Make sure he has a big water bowl and after handling him kinda place him in it, so he identifies that its there. Make sure he has a secure hide, and wait a few weeks. If he has size to him, he can go EASILY 2 weeks without a feed. Just make sure that you monitor him, and make sure he doesnt look too skinny.

Good luck

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bighair

bighair Embryo

Hey, thanks all for the advice. I'll try to feed him again in a few days. I like the glove idea. It's actually the same terrarium he's always had, just with a new humidifying device. He has gotten majorly perky. Last night he was slithering all over the place. It's nice to see him so active, bright-eyed, shiny and looking so healthy. Maybe he has been slightly dehydrated and weak since I got him a year ago and now his true personality is emerging since the humidity is high enough. I'll let you know if his behavior changes.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bighair

bighair Embryo

Hey it's me again. My boa is still very cranky. Everytime I open the cage, he coils up and strikes. I'm wearing gloves. Should I leave him alone longer or try to hold him and get him use to me? As I said, I had him for over a year and he's always been docile until the last month. He's eating well and looks healthy.

12. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

If all husbendry conditions are correct, then this is a case of a snake needing lots of handling. Get some leather gloves and take him out regularly. Handling a little everyday should calm him down in time.

13. boa_baby_06

boa_baby_06 Embryo

what i would do is just handle him a bit with the gloves and when you think he's calmed down enough try taking them off so you can handle him without all the bulk...that way you get a good feel for your snake and he gets a good feel for you!