Crawl Caye Boa. Very quiet.

Discussion in 'Boas' started by coils, Sep 15, 2005.

1. coils

coils New Member

Hi everybody.

First post and first pet snake so here goes.

Stay with me while I provide some back ground info.

He/she is approximately 9-10 months old and is feeding well.
    His tank is L48" x W15" x H18" which equates to 56 gallons.
    Ceramic heating. Warm end 90 degrees f. Cool end 81 degrees f.
    Humidity is approximately 50%
    There are numerous hides thoughout the enclosure with one at both cool and hot ends. The snake has been getting about 10 hours of daylight a day.
    Has constant access to large water dish.
    I remove ’coils’ to an alternative container for feeding. He has fed three times within the last 4 weeks on medium size mice. He has yet to prouce anything the other end though!

Snake is approximately 2 foot long.
    Last shed was 6days ago, and it was one piece and complete.

Right, now for the question. Despite all this avaliable room that he has the snake never leaves the cool end of the vivarium. During the day he is at ground level in a hide at the cool end and then, 30 minutes after lights out, he moves to a branch towards the top of the tank in the cool end. He must move about 6 inches maximum.

I have monitored his behaviour late in the evening and very early in the morning and he just stays on his perch then eventually moves back down to his hide.

Is he trying to tell me that he is not happy about something, ie the warm end is too hot or that the humidity is incorrect? or could it be simply that he is quite happy where he is or that everything is still a bit new and he is a bit nervous. (Very docile snake, doesnt appear to be unduly upset by handling and has never tried to bite me). I handle him about twice a week to thoroughly check him over.

Reading around I was under the impression that in the early evening boas tend to be quite active and like to explore their enclosures. Whereas ’coils’ just moves 6" away and stays there.

Thanks for any help

Coils

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

What are you measuring his temps with? By the way, Welcome to the forums!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. coils

coils New Member

Hi Janice

Thanks for the post and welcome.
    Temp measurements being taken with digital thermometers. I don't trust the dial type.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

humidity should be around 70 percent, but I don't think that would prevent him from going into the warm end. I'm thing the warm end is too warm....What about after he eats, for digestion?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coils

coils New Member

Have just re-checked the hygrometer and it is now reading 66% I think I took the reading too soon.
    I also wondered about the warm end being too warm hence him staying down in the cool end and only moving 6 inches a way to a branch that he likes at night. With all my reading about Crawl caye dwarf boas and looking at weather information about the island, I thought that 90 degrees f seemed about right.
    What makes me think that it may not be temperature related is that he has multiple hides in his viv and he never even goes to the ones half way up the tank where it is a nice 86 degrees f.

I feed him in another container and when I put him back into the viv he explores around for about 30 seconds and then heads of back to his 'normal' hide in the cool end..do you think he could just be very nervous as he is so new despite his docile nature and he feels secure down that end of the viv?

I have also, been told that the viv may be too big for a snake of his size and age.

Very interested in your opinions.

Thanks again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Hmm, try lowering the temps a couple of degrees. Maybe that is all it is.

12. coils

coils New Member

Thanks Janice. I'll give it a try.

13. Janice

you're welcome.

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Where are you measuring the temps on the hot side?
    Is the 90° a ambient temp or a temp measured directly over a heat pad or UTH?

15. coils

coils New Member

Hi Stormyva

The hot end temperatures are being measured at substrate level adjacent to the ceramic heater and gaurd but not directly underneath. Temperature half way down the tank is approximately 85 and cool end is now 81 degrees f. Have reduced temperatures down a bit following Janice's advise.

There are no heat pads or (not 100% sure what UTH is but..) under tank heaters.

I'm also getting concerned that after 4 weeks and three feeds I've yet to see any...'ahem'...poop!

Any advice on that?

Thanks

16. Janice

Uth stands for under tank heater. he has shed, and still no poo?

17. coils

coils New Member

Thanks Janice. I thought thats what UTH stood for.
    Yes he has shed, but still no pooh. I moved all his hides and decor looking for some too! :)

Any suggestions why this could be the case? Am I under feeding? 2 Fuzzies and 1 medium size mouse in the last 4 weeks. I also tried to offer rat pups but he wasn't interested in them at all, I tried all the tricks that I have read about too but to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do to encourage him along...not sure he would like prunes!

18. Janice

What has he eaten since the shed?

19. coils

coils New Member

Oh, probably should point out that I have tried giving him luke warm baths. I wonder if his reluctance to move around his tank othr than staying in his cool are and his seemingly inability to defecate are related?

Could he not be moving around and not pooping be an indication that he is stressed or nervous?
    I have only had him for about 4 weeks.

20. Janice

Could be stress. If he isn't properly digesting his food, he will eventually throw it up, I would think. I was going to suggest a bath.....Has he eaten since he shed?

21. coils

coils New Member

No, hasnt eaten since his shed. He is due a feed this weekend.
    I have read that if they dont eat a sufficiently large meal then defecation rate may decrease. Do you agree with this?

Could I feed him two medium size mice at one sitting? They are approximately the same width as his girth.
    I guess I could offer that and let him decide if he wants both. If not never mind.

I have to admit that I am nervous feeding him again when nothing is coming out. Do snakes pop? :)

22. coils

coils New Member

I might try one more feed this weekend then if no pooh then I'll take him to the vets. I was trying to avoid this if possible because if his 'odd' behaviour was due to stress of new environment and new keeper etc then a trip to the vets was hardly going to make him feel more secure if you know what I mean.

23. Janice

Sorry for all the questions.....Do you know how old he is?

24. coils

coils New Member

Based on what we were told he is now 10 months old.

25. Janice

10 months, are Caye boas quite small?