Crawl Caye Boa. Very quiet.

Discussion in 'Boas' started by coils, Sep 15, 2005.

1. coils

coils New Member

Hi Janice

No problem about the questions...It's you that is helping me after all..age and nearly all details are in my first post.

He is of the dwarf variety. Apparently he is going to reach a maximum of 4 to 5 feet. I shall wait and see as someone else saw him and thought he was a different variety altogether, we shall see.

I can post pix of him if this is allowed. Do I just link the img or url?

Anyway, he has POOPED this evening!!
    Typical, he waited until I had asked all the experts and then he does it.
    I'm actually v pleased, was getting a bit concerned.

Thanks for your help. :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. coils

coils New Member

Here are some pix. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner time! He no longer has this substrate.
    [​IMG]

This humidity meter has been replaced wtih a digital hygrometer.
    The tupperware, is his home made humidity box to aid with shedding that I new was imminent.
    [​IMG]

His last intact shed
    [​IMG]

Sorry the pictures arent the best.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HBTkidd

HBTkidd Embryo

not to but in, but first.... very nice boa. You might want to reconsider the wood chips...... if you feed him in a tank w/wood chips......
    if 1 lil' chip gets ingested it could be fatal................just tryin' to look out for ya

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Didn't see that bit? :)

Personally my boas are on aspen, but I feed them outside of their enclosures.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coils

coils New Member

Thanks guys for your comments. :)

He no longer has the wood chips as substrate and I dont feed him in the viv any longer. I have a seperate plastic container for this.
    I now use a commonly available tree bark substrate which is quite common to use in the UK apparently.

Thanks again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Very nice boa!!!! I'm glad things worked out!!! I think we worry too much!!!!

12. coils

coils New Member

Thanks Janice. I think you are right about the worrying. But if we think something's not right we can't help it.

He is still very 'hidey' though. We was due a feed last night but I left it a night in the hope that he would come out and maybe hunt a little. He didnt, so he wins again, won't make him wait for his dinner tonight.

13. Janice

How big do crawl caye boas get?

14. coils

coils New Member

Approximately 4 - 5 feet.

15. Janice

I already asked you that, LOL!!! Are they pricey? My 10 year decided he'd rather have a boa than a spotted python. I'm trying to change his mind!

16. coils

coils New Member

Hi Janice.
    Yep you did but couldnt work out if it was you or I that was having the off day! :( :wink:
    My crawl caye was £200 (about 420 canadian dollars). I have a feeling that 'ordinary' snakes are a lot more expensive in the UK than in Canada or the US.

I'm very interested to why you are trying to change his mind. Do you prefer pythons?

I am in the process of deciding between a Hogg Island Boa or a Ball python myself. I actually want an emerald tree boa but I want to become more experience at snake keeping first.

17. Janice

No, I love the feel of a boa, it's the size that concerns me for a 10 year old. He held a hogg island boa at the last reptile expo we went to, and I bought a columbian boa at the same show. I'm not sure if a hoggie would be too big for him to handle. And I don't know if crawl caye are available in Canada. It's not like we wouldn't be right there to help him, anyways, or right there to take over if heaven forbid the kid looses interest. and the older and bigger the snake gets, the bigger and older the kid is going to get. I have thought about a hoggie for him. But the hoggie was $375 CDN, where we could get a spotted python for about $100 CDN. The most I have paid for a snake (so far) is $149 and that was because we bought it at the petstore. The breeder that I was talking to that has the hoggies, only has a couple left, and won't be going to the November show. So I don't know what i'll do.

18. coils

coils New Member

I can understand the concern about the size of one for a 10 year old. I guess though if you got a very young snake by the time it was at an intimidating size your lad would be that bit bigger too. Hoggies are about the same sort of cost here too.
    BPs are really quite cheap here. About £60 ($120 CDN). Are they really as bad eaters as the reports suggest?

Hoggies do look spectacular though and apparently have great personalities, don't you think?

I need to read a lot more before I decide.

19. Janice

I have 2 ball pythons, the first was a bit older from the petstore, and we payed $149 CDN, and we had a difficult time getting him to eat. i bought a 1 month old from a breeder in June, and he hasn't refused a meal yet. I don't know who owned our older one before us, or if he is even captive bred and born, but in my opinion, if you get one from a breeder, that is already eating, bred and born in captivity, I think you should not have any problems. Our baby, Charlie, had gone from mice to rats, and is an eating champion!

20. Janice

And I only paid $75.00 CDN for Charlie from a breeder, so it is worth it to buy from a breeder.

21. coils

coils New Member

Thanks Janice I'll bear those tips in mind when the time comes. $75 CDN, wow, as far as I know we can't get them that cheap here.

How come they are so cheap? Is it due to them breeding readily?

22. Janice

Could be, there seems to be a lot of ball python breeders here in Ontario.