Crested Gecko Caging

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Joel Lowe, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

i would like the hear some thoughts on cageing for these guys

what do you use and what not...
    size
    type (ie exo terra, sceen cage, ect)
    the stuff you put in there...

if you have pics plz by all means add them im hopeing to get some great feedback

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

I would like to know too..Since I don't have any cresties yet....but the expo is sunday and I just might get my hands on a pair :sneaky:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i have an exoterra for my 2 boys. im planning on seperating them after i redo my skink enclosure. when they were growing up i housed them seperatly is plastic bins. im trying a planted tank but all my plants are too small to really provide good hiding so im going to take the setup apart and redo it later

a 20gal thats taller than it is wide will be fine for a cresty

here is my tank when i first put it together, my plants havent grown much at all
    [​IMG]

Eme Demiri likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

very cool.. I like that you have live plants in there

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

thanks. ill probably move those plants to the skink enclosure and go with something taller like a small tree in the cresty enclosure

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

What kind of skink do you have ?

12. Shanna66

2 female crocodile skinks.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I've used both the exo-terra caging and screen caging over the years - I tend to prefer the glass enclosures due to visibility and the fact that it can be cleaned so much easier than screen caging. These guys frequently use the restroom on hte walls of the enclosure, and its much easier to wipe off a glass enclosure than take a toothbrush to screen (which never really does the job 100% until you do a full cage clean). These guys don't have as high of humidity needs as people insist; and screen caging is fine as long as you mist the ensloure regularly. I actually like the idea of them in that it acts as a nice climbing surface that forces them to use strength to climb (its rumored to also offset floppy-tail syndrome).

You want about 40-60% ground space - despite being arboreal, you don't want things cluttered too much. They like a little space to stretch out and they do use the floor of the viv frequently. Also - horizontal perches. They LOVE to perch. Add plenty of climbing structure and perches between a couple of inches from the ground and the top of the viv. Add decor like fake silk plants for cover and curled cork or flats for hides and you're golden.

Here's one of mine now - There is a small pothos growing behind the cork flat on hte left that can't be seen, but it will eventually grow over that flat and I will train it work its way around the back of the viv for more cover and color in the cage. There are 3 cypress knees imbedded in the background for perching, a piece of driftwood in the bottom right, a large center piece with perching, a couple of silk plants for both ground cover and hiding, and a magnetic mushroom feed station for CGD and water:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a very basic screen enclosure setup:
    [​IMG]

I prefer a coir/bioactive substrate mix for these guys but you can also use paper towel, cypress mulch, large wood chips, etc. If you use particulate substrate, especially for juveniles, its recommended to feed insects from a bowl.

These guys don't need any special lighting - I only use lights in the cage for display reasons. The reb bulb is for nightime viewing and supplemental winter heat (which they bask under quite frequently). I've noticed that juveniles very much enjoy dracaena compacta and bird's nest fern for live plants and I've heard adults favor ficus benjamina although I've never used it. Pothos is a good easy vine to grow that they love to hide in and around as well.

14. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

great pics... ill post what i just set up... hang on

15. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

howd you make the background.. it does not look like foam spray

16. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

lol! if anybody can create a background like that on their own I would be surprised! Some tanks have foam backgrounds that are made especially for that tank. I got one with a 20g tall tank I have.

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I'll have to try and find one I made using foam - the pics are likely saved on another computer. Like dogking said, the one in my photos came with the exo-terra cage (18" x 18" x 24") but I did place a couple of cypress knees in the background and a small chunk of driftwood for perching and climbing. I noticed they have some trouble climbing the foam background on their own so opted to make it more usable.

18. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

@dogking yeah i didnt look at the pic right... that just a exo-terra background... i thought it was a made for the tank... maybe via spray foam or somthing of the like.

19. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Here are a couple examples of mine both old and new... some aren't fully done photos:

[​IMG] (approx. 90gal)

[​IMG](a ten gal on it's side)

[​IMG] (approx. 40 gal I custom made)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I think these both are 20 gal tubs turned on their sides...)
    [​IMG]
    (this is a little baby exo-terra... I just use it for the intermediate stages between hatchling and juvie/adult)

[​IMG]
    (another ~20 gal tub)

[​IMG]
    (just another version of the 40 gal set-up)

[​IMG]
    20 gal tall tanks with the sides cut into hinge doors)

[​IMG]
    (another 20 gal tall tank with the side cut into a hinge door)

and 2 hatchling temp cages that were actually for chahoua, but they have just about the same requirements:
    [​IMG]

Oh! The 1st pic updated:
    [​IMG]

20. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

The little viv in the 2nd photo I made the background and ledges and water thing... with black silicone, clear silicone, "great stuff" foam, eco earth, live plants and moss :) It's really not too hard to do, there are a number of tutorials online... That viv also had a water-feature (I wouldn't call it a water fall exactly... lol) in it :)

Both of the wooden cages I made from scratch as well... one is about a 40 gal and the other is almost a 90 gal. I have had cresties, chahoua, and gargoyles in those tanks - all have just about the same requirements the only difference being gargs actually prefer more ground room and can't grip glass or plastic well (so she's in the screen wooden cage now) and the chahoua love cork bark and need a bit more sturdy items in the tank because they get just a bit bigger than cresties :)

Side note- I just realized we don't have a dedicated enclosure thread for the rhac forum section.... so I thought I'd sticky this thread and see how it goes :) Please stick on topic of your cages, your ideas, and any enclosure questions. Thank you!!

21. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

I house my crestie in a 15 gallon high tank. My crestie is not fully grown yet. The set up is not fancy like the other nice pics posted here, but is easy to clean and I don't have to worry about ingesting substrates. It has a corner water bowl, branch, termite hill, piece of drift wood and a cave.

22. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

23. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

24. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

25. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

my tanks for my cresties arent as good as those :(