Cresteds

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by crazy4reptiles, Oct 3, 2004.

1. crazy4reptiles

crazy4reptiles New Member

So is it true that if your Crested drops its tail it will not grow back?
    I was just wondering tried looking it up but couldn't get a positive answer with my search, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks..

Got a Baby corn snake last night :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dinsley

Dinsley Embryo

That is true

I am getting some cresty's well i am actually not sure yet, but i have read that in alot of the care sheets.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Congrats on the Corn snake!

Unfortunaltely It is very true. Once the tail is dropped it will NOT grow back. However, I'm sure you will take excellent care of your crazy4reptiles. The usually drop them within the first month of hatching, then its pretty rare. Once they are full grown they become extrememly laid back and you almost have to make them drop their tail

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crazy4reptiles

crazy4reptiles New Member

That's pretty crappy... I was reading when they were found in the wild, before they were thought to be extinct. It was common for them to be seen with no tails... All our Herps are taken very good care of!!! I seen a Crested with no tail at a show and it was still quite pricey.. I guess if it's a breeder female it wouldn't matter? Still can produce nice offspring with no tail. I know this is not about Cresteds, but it's about Geckos, and I'm sure JEFFREH will read it.. lol... For a leo inclosure, what kind, if any live plants can you use that will still be safe? That obvisouly doesn't require to much water.. as to keep the humity down? Thanks again....

p.s. I don't know whats wrong with us we got another female Leo today... We must have the Herp Bug or somthing :shock: !! hahaha

Ciao :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yeah I read almost all of the ones found in the wild were missig tails for some reason, no one knows for sure yet. Yea, if its an adult breeder than they really dont care about price, especially if its a good color and healthy. They will generally lower the price a good $25 at least if the tail is missing. It's not a huge lss, sure they cant climb as well and they look like little frogs but they are still cute!

Ummm I think you should wait for someone without a black thumb to come along and tell you about plants. I'm horrible with them to be honest and I have no idea which ones are safe. Sorry

As for the bug you caught, I would have been the same way but my parents wouldnt let me get anymore