cricket husbandry

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by btcowboy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

RE: Re: RE: cricket husbandry

Also too, I can not remember which one it is but between those colored Rubbermaid and sterlite tubs one of them they can climb out of and one of them they can not

So whichever one you had was the wrong one :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sassy_Tiva

Sassy_Tiva New Member

Yeah - I kinda figured I got the wrong kind....a friend has them in trash cans and they never climb out....so as soon as I saw them climbing I was like "oh shoot".....and that's when I put them in the tank.....oh well I tried :0)

Thanks again everyone - and again I just want to make sure American Cricket Ranch is ok to order from in regards to bacteria.......I want to make sure my crickets are healthy - they seem really healthy!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

I think the sterlites are the ones they can't because they are pretty slick, I believe rubbermaids have more texture to them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. electrixx

electrixx New Member

Re: RE: cricket husbandry

A little pricey-- if you live in the U.S. try LLLReptile.com ... you can get 1000 crix any size for 16.99 with shipping included. http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/feeders/crickets/ and if you buy more they are even cheaper per cricket.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

this is not a supplier I would use, the condition they keep their animals in that we have seen at shows and the free handling by every kid that walks buy is a breeding ground for passing virus and bacterias. Out of 150 vendors at the Tampa Show, they were the ones that we thougth were the most careless and even when people were saying something about it, they were nasty about it.

There are many suppliers online that have thei own crickets that have tested clean, that you can buy them from for $12-$18 shipped, such as ArmstrongCricket, ArmstrongCrickets, reptilefood. com

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sassy_Tiva

Sassy_Tiva New Member

I totally agree with the LLLReptile comment - this past weekend we attended the Sacramento Reptile Show and they had 2 bins with beardie hatchlings and they were letting every single kid pick them up - squeeze tem, hold them by the tails....it was sooo sad...I could tell the little guys were so freaked out - the staff said nothing. The staff at that show wern't even having the kids clense their hands between different bins/animals......it made me very upset - but what can you do right?

12. CheriS

That was and had been our complaint for 4 years now and we also know of at least 3 people that bought bearded dragons from them that died of a virus... which can be spread by human hands and feeders. By them allowing the animals to be played with, handled and abused by hundreds of people in a a day.... not only are the babies so darn stressed out that they usually get very ill if/after they are purchased and then the new owner has a problem dealing with medical bills or a dying baby, they also leave all their animals open for deadly virus like the above that can wipe out whole colonies.... and .... EVEN WORSE, if their babies pickup a virus from the hudnred of hands that have touched other animals handling, the staff that touches those babiies
    and then touches the supplies they sell, feeders they sell and other animals..... can pass that virus on to you when you buy them too.

Very nasty habits and ANYONE that had ever had to deal with any viral or bacterial problems that are contagious can tell you how it can spread in moments like a wildfire to others and destroy breeders colonies or private owners pets.

Having to put down one baby that is dying with a virus is heartbreaking and I know breeders that have had to put down several clutches of beautiful babies that appear healhty and plump, because they tested positive when other babies were dying.... that is devastating to have to do. And many times it is caused by carelessness such as LLL Reptile staff shows. Due to thier extremely unhealthy habits that we and others (see above) have witnessed many times, we will not buy anything from them abd support them only continues to encourage then to conduct business like this.

There are plenty of alternative places for supplies such as ReptileSupply.com, ReptileDirect.com and also feeder companies that have good clean stock like ArmstrongCrickets, ArmstrongCricket, and ReptileFood.com.

13. electrixx

electrixx New Member

Wow, I didn't know that. A friend of mine is from SD and she's used their crix for a number of years now, that's where I got the idea... I guess I won't buy crix from them anymore.. but I'm trying to switch to lobster roaches anyhow so this shouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry to hear that they are irresponsible, I've had nothing but good experiences with them =