Cricket Porblems?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Karlee, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

Both Jimmety Cricket and Candy arent interested in crickets any more. All they will eat are mealies, not wax worms or crickets, just mealies. And it is harder to powder mealies than crickets so that is one problem. And plus the shell of the mealie can cause impaction. Any one know what I can do to get them back on crickets?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louie

Louie Member

The only thing I can think of is getting the mealworm scent on the crickets . This is more of snake "science" but since lizaards also pick up scent , it is worth a try.

You are one of many whose lizards prefer mealworms over crickets.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

Thanks, I will try that. It isnt a direct issue, but mealies arent a great source of nutrition and I will spend half an hour shaking the bag because it is hard to powder the mealies.

I think the reason they perfer mealies is because they are so lazy and mealies are easier to catch than crickets.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Karlee

Karlee Member

I found something quite interesting. I was looking on the Petsmart website and I saw they had an item called "Jurrasifruit Scented Appetite Simulator". I was wondering if any one has used this product and if I could spray it on the crickets to get my reptiles interested in them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Louie

Louie Member

Before buying that I would look into some type dish/saucer that could hold the crickets and make it that much easier for your lizards to eat them.

I know they sell one for mealworms but not sure if any for crickets. If your lizards are big enough you can even use some type glass or ceramic bowl.

Mix the crickets in with some mealworms and that should do it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

Ok, I will try that. I would pull the legs off the crickets but I know I dont want people ripping off my legs so I dont really want to because it is inhumane.

And they are just babies, I dont think I can use those dishes without putting some way for them to get in and out, which means the crickets can get out.