Cross Breeding Monitors?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by KLiK, Oct 21, 2004.

1. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i have seen burmese and rectic python hybrids and i got to wondering what if there were hybrid monitors created? would anyone know of 2 species that would be close enough for it to work successfully? i was thinking blackthroats and savs

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

There are a few hybrid monitors around. I haven't seen a sav/black throat, but there is one monitor hybrid that has proved successful and even produces fertile offspring which is becoming available, and that is the Varanus flavirufus x gouldi (Sand/Argus Monitor). Also, while not exactly a monitor, tegus are very similar to monitors and there have been succesful blue tegu/red tegu hybrids. Despite what some might think by the names, the blue, red, argentine black & white, and coloumbian black & white tegus are not color phases of the same animal, but all are separate species, so the blue/red cross is really a true genetic hybrid.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

interesting. if i had the room and the cash i would definatly buy a Blue Tree Monitor and try crossbreeding it with something else. imagine seeing a blue savannah monitor :shock:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

hah you could try crossing a blue tree monitor and a yellow one, and see if you get green. I'd call it the "Glad-Loc Monitor" :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hahaha that would be awsome.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PhanT

PhanT Embryo

LoL, Well if you ever manage that Klik, Ill buy one ;x

12. BoidsUnlimited

BoidsUnlimited New Member

Too bad it doesnt work that way guys......

I dont really see any need in cross breeding....all I would expect are a bunch of slugs or babies that will die in a week or so.

PS - I'm very ANTI - Hybrid:)

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

14. BoidsUnlimited

ya and thanks to people crossing snakes...there are many burms being sold as burms that arent full burms. Many are Burm X Indian.....which I find annoying...;)

you can say what you want about them..i just dont like them :)

thanks

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry if i sounded angry or rude wasnt my intention i was just saying what i have seen and yea i am aware of the burm x indian and that to me is unhonest because they are sold as pure burms and thats not cool

16. BoidsUnlimited

noo i ddidnt take it as being rude at all,,,,,,best thing about the US iis freedom of speech:)

aand your right it issnt cool at alll

17. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

I belive the "Mighty" (lol) Sobek is a WT/BT cross

18. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

hybrid monitors

hybrid monitors do exist, usually only crossed with other types of similar grouped monitors like the argus/flavi, whitethroats x blackthroats technically isnt a hybrid as they are the same exact animal, same classification, same name all of that, all whitethroat and blackthroats are all V. albigularis, ionedesi was dropped some time back. there is only one subspecies of albigularis and that is v.a.microstictus. other crosses are blackheaded monitors x with freckeleds, yellow ackies with red ackies, different subspecies of waters, marmoratus x salvator ssp. Black trees were crossed with green trees, but they all died. Tree monitors need to be bred purely on a regular basis let alone try to cross them with other crap. I dont like crosses, in most cases you are taking a cheap animal and crossing it with something expensive, stay pure monitor enthusiasts, leave the inbreeding and cross breeding to the snake people.

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

we have discussed this already.

20. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I'd rather not get into this as I'm against it. I like to keep locallities pure.